Ss Brewtech 3/4 HP Glycol Chiller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ss Brewtech 3/4 HP Glycol Chiller

Just wanted to see if 1) anyone is using this equipment, specifically for 3 bbl fermenters, and how they like it. 2) If anyone has retrofitted this equipment for non-SS Brewtech fermenters.

On the normal small budget of a small brewery, we are trying to make due. We've got the 3/4 HP glycol chiller from Ss Brewtech and a 3 bbl jacketed unitank from Stout. The normal set up for the tank temp controller involves a temp probe wire that basically peaks through a rubber nipple attached to a triclamp fitting. Might as well be temp probing the jackets themselves. Fortunately the Stout tank has a 8" thermowell, so I think I can stick the probe in there and have a more accurate reading.

Just wanted to see is anyone has experience using this product, and/or retrofitting it to work with non-Ss Brewtech equipment and your experience.

I dont have an SSBrewtech but I do sell/use the Penguin glycol chillers and bigger ones. I can say the Penguin ones are a very good chiller and the new XL series only expands on what they can offer. They start out at homebrewing sized (1/3 HP) but do go up to 3 1/3HP which will get you up to 16,000 BTU/hr of cooling capacity. We then switch over to our main line of industrial glycol chillers, Chase Cooling Systems.

Feel free to check them out at https://www.deltabrewingsystems.com/collections/chiller. We've had people use them with Stout tanks and most common nanobrewery sized fermenters/unitanks before.
    Last edited by DeltaMike; 11-15-2019, 03:01 PM.

Comment

I guess I'll just do an active update, somewhat for myself to have a record as well. A crash test proved fruitful. The chiller holds 22 gallons, our jacketed tank holds 3.8 gallons. It took 8 hours to crash from 81 degrees to 37.7F. When I came back to work in the morning, the tank hit 34F which is where I set the temp controller. There were a approximately 4 hours where the chiller did nothing but temperature remained stable. I have the glycol set to 28F, while it was shut off it fluctuated 4 hours between 28-30F, so thats all good. I have shutoffs on the hoses, Ss Brewtech sends a backflow preventer which I installed on the bottom jacket, definitely necessary. Needed a few parts to retrofit a Stout 3 bbl unitank for the chiller, but easy peasy with McMaster Carr and GW Kent. Ss Brewtech says this chiller can handle two 3 bbl tanks. We only have one for now, but I'm predicting you will have to alternate crashing schedules and shut off the jackets to the other tank so you dont raise the temp. The glycol jumped from 28F to 48F in the first hour, by hour 5 it was back to 34F, so if you crash early, you might not have to shut the other tank off too long.

We're doing an inaugural run on our new fermenter/chiller set up today. I'll update soon on how well it holds temp for a single tank. If it works, its a very convenient game changer for small breweries.

Comment

Originally posted by Brewdeco View Post
        I guess I'll just do an active update, somewhat for myself to have a record as well. A crash test proved fruitful. The chiller holds 22 gallons, our jacketed tank holds 3.8 gallons. It took 8 hours to crash from 81 degrees to 37.7F. When I came back to work in the morning, the tank hit 34F which is where I set the temp controller. There were a approximately 4 hours where the chiller did nothing but temperature remained stable. I have the glycol set to 28F, while it was shut off it fluctuated 4 hours between 28-30F, so thats all good. I have shutoffs on the hoses, Ss Brewtech sends a backflow preventer which I installed on the bottom jacket, definitely necessary. Needed a few parts to retrofit a Stout 3 bbl unitank for the chiller, but easy peasy with McMaster Carr and GW Kent. Ss Brewtech says this chiller can handle two 3 bbl tanks. We only have one for now, but I'm predicting you will have to alternate crashing schedules and shut off the jackets to the other tank so you dont raise the temp. The glycol jumped from 28F to 48F in the first hour, by hour 5 it was back to 34F, so if you crash early, you might not have to shut the other tank off too long.

We're doing an inaugural run on our new fermenter/chiller set up today. I'll update soon on how well it holds temp for a single tank. If it works, its a very convenient game changer for small breweries.
        Thank you for the update.
        'm looking into this right now but I don't think its enough for 5 2bbl fermentors and a 2bbl bright tank.

Comment

Im using a little micromatic 1/3hp chiller for 4 3bbl conicals and although we only use it for fermentation and transfer to brites in a walking cooler to cold crash, I was able to bring 3bbls of lager down to 34 degrees with it while maintaining temps on 2 other fermenters at the same time. I have 3 3.5bbl unitanks on order and will likely be splitting the duty up to have this chiller control one of these and get a slightly larger one for the 2 remaining tanks as we will still transfer to the brites in our cellar where we crash and keg from them.

Comment

Just wondering if the OP has any update on how this is working?

I'm trying to decide which glycol chiller to use. Will be cooling four 3.5BBL unitanks to start.

First question is whether I want to use a SS brewtech style chiller, with no pump, and add individual pumps similar to the SS brewtech ftss temp control system...OR, go with a line chiller or small package chiller with in internal pump, then have a pressurized glycol line with solenoid controlled valves.

Can anyone comment on pros/cons of each? Is anyone using a ftss style setup (individual pumps for each fermenter) with a jacketed unitank fermenter setup? Do these pumps provide enough pressure for the jacket?

If I go with the individual pump system, I'll likely look at the penguin chiller mentioned above, in the XL 2 HP size. If I go with a pressurized line setup, I'll probably look at a line chiller or possibly two if necessary...like this UBC chiller from fox: https://foxxequipment.com/product/gl...-12-hp-pr-7946

One thing I notice with the line chillers, is a huge difference in glycol capacity...a 1.5 HP micromatic I'm looking at has only 2 gal capacity, while that 1/2 HP UBC is like 15 gal capacity. I assume more capacity, more thermal mass, more effective, right?

Thanks !

Comment

I am running two first in last out loops on 6- 3bbl fermenters. One Perlick 4410 for each three 3bbl row of fermenters. One loop is copper and the other is pex. One 3/4hp chiller is great with three 3bbls. Reservoir size is 2gal on that chiller. You just poor as it pumps and fills the fermenters. Your big, most important component is the HP of your chiller. Oversize for growth and effectiveness.
              Last edited by BREWMASON; 08-20-2020, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X