• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck fermentation

Fellows
    We have an IPA with an OG of 15.1 P
    We are using US-05 dry yeast and the fermentation activity is nearly done
    Temp is 64F, started at and target is 68F. We cannot increase temp. Building is at ~63F
    We are shooting for a FG at 3P but we are at 6.1P
    I haven’t dry hopped yet which may kick the yeast a little

I’ve been advised to use dextrose (after boiling it) to get close to our 6.9ABV target

It is a 10 bbl batch

Where can I find info on how much sugar to add to achieve FG?

I’ll also move yeast from one FV to another to increase yeast cell count in a couple days.

Is there any other recommended way to motivate the yeast?

Thanks

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adding dextrose to get to your target abv is still going to leave you with a really sweet beer. Your best bet is to krausen it with some really active fermenting wort, after you have warmed it up a bit. You need to find a way to warm it up, halogen lamps on un-insulated areas, circulate the beer through a sanitized heat exchanger with warm water running through the other side, or warm water through the jackets. If you cant do that, I would suggest you dump it and start over. Theres no saving this beer as designed without the ferment finishing naturally, it may even have hit its maximum attenuation depending on the beer design and mash temps. Adding dextrose will likely get it going again, but it probably wont go past 6 P again, and youll be stuck with a really sweet IPA.

Comment

Originally posted by jebzter View Post
      Adding dextrose to get to your target abv is still going to leave you with a really sweet beer. Your best bet is to krausen it with some really active fermenting wort, after you have warmed it up a bit. You need to find a way to warm it up, halogen lamps on un-insulated areas, circulate the beer through a sanitized heat exchanger with warm water running through the other side, or warm water through the jackets. If you cant do that, I would suggest you dump it and start over. Theres no saving this beer as designed without the ferment finishing naturally, it may even have hit its maximum attenuation depending on the beer design and mash temps. Adding dextrose will likely get it going again, but it probably wont go past 6 P again, and youll be stuck with a really sweet IPA.
      Thanks for your answer
      I am slowing increasing temp but yeast activity remains slow.
      I’ll give it another 3/4 days and see if it kicks back...
      Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Mattieu View Post
        Thanks for your answer
        Thanks again

you can also add some lager or powerful ale (like Nottingham) yeast to restart the fermentation. Also, simple circulation from lowest port to mid one (if you have 2, of course) by some small pump heats beer a bit (because of pump heating itself and liquid spinning at 3k rpm), and also distributes and mixes yeast a bit better.

Comment

Originally posted by Stiletto View Post
          you can also add some lager or powerful ale (like Nottingham) yeast to restart the fermentation. Also, simple circulation from lowest port to mid one (if you have 2, of course) by some small pump heats beer a bit (because of pump heating itself and liquid spinning at 3k rpm), and also distributes and mixes yeast a bit better.
          That does help, would not run the pumps at full tilt though, 3600 rpm has some pretty high shear forces and is not great for the yeast.

Comment

Warm another tank and transfer beer in

Originally posted by Mattieu View Post
            Thanks for your answer
            Thanks again

You could warm the beer a small amount by preheating a second fermenter with a hot water rinse and then transfer the stuck beer into the second fermenter. The beer will pick up a little heat from the warmth of the tank and the transfer will rouse the yeast.

Comment

Working...
            X