Chemistry Calculator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chemistry Calculator

Just interested to hear opinions. Currently I use Beersmith for recipe formulation. When calculating salt additions I've bounced between Beersmith and Brewers Friend Advanced Chemistry Calculators. The numbers come out a bit different. Wondering if its a better idea to use the in-program calculator, or if anyone has opinions about their accuracy respectively.

Originally posted by Brewdeco View Post
    Just interested to hear opinions. Currently I use Beersmith for recipe formulation. When calculating salt additions I've bounced between Beersmith and Brewers Friend Advanced Chemistry Calculators. The numbers come out a bit different. Wondering if its a better idea to use the in-program calculator, or if anyone has opinions about their accuracy respectively.
    There is also another calculator on this website as well. They are all tools that will get you close to what you want. The important factor is consistency over all else. If you choose to use a calculator stick with the same one, so you can begin to understand the changes you are making. Contrary to popular belief, RO water is not always at 0ppm TDS. Calculator may or may not factor this in, and there is likely rounding differences as well.

The correct answer would be to use molar math and actually calculate the additions based on specific chemical compounds (MgSO4, CaCl2*6H2O, Etc), and the actual mass of water (not volume, since that is temperature dependent). If you are concerned enough to worry about the different calculators, this should be your most obvious answer. I don't trust most calculators, lol.

Comment

Bru'n'water for calculations and research, Beersmith for formulation into additions. Works totally fine for me, water was lab tested after infusions and was ~97% accurate, which in brewing world means totally fine, I suppose.

Comment

Working...
      X