Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canning Coffee

Hi,

How much nitrogen would I need to put into coffee in a brite in order for a can to hold its rigidity? My brites are rated to 30 psi. Obviously I can't put flat coffee into a can without some sort of outward pressure on the can. I'm not necessarily looking to do a "nitro" coffee, just trying to understand if I could infuse enough nitrogen into coffee in a brite and then can it. Thanks!

John

Every situation is unique...

You will have to figure this out for your exact recipe, filling apparatus, etc. There are no general guidelines. I've tried carbonating water with very poor results as water does not hold CO2 like beer does. That said, you will need much less carbonation/nitrogenation than beer or highly carbonated water. My suggestion would be to take a week to sort this out definitively. Prepare a test batch and start with very low carbonation. Increase the carbonation bit by bit. Pull cans at each carbonation level until you get the stiffness in the can that you like at the lowest temperature that the can will be stored/used. Only you can know what level is appropriate for your unique beverage, tank, measuring technique, carbonation technique, canning equipment, etc. With any luck, you will still have most of your batch to properly package as you will know the proper protocol with some confidence. Best of luck!
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Working...
    X