Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milk vat mash tun conversion ideas?

Hi,
    I have just purchased a 1000L round milk vat that I plan to convert to a mash tun.
    What do people suggest I use as a false bottom? I was thinking lengths of copper pipe that I drill or cut.
    If anyone has done something similar, how did you deal with the slopping bottom of the vat?
    Any photos or ideas would be really appreciated!

Thanks
    Rob

I would look up wedge wire. There is a place in the U.K. that sells used wire Hope I cannot think of the name tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Christop View Post
      Hi,
      I have just purchased a 1000L round milk vat that I plan to convert to a mash tun.
      What do people suggest I use as a false bottom? I was thinking lengths of copper pipe that I drill or cut.
      If anyone has done something similar, how did you deal with the slopping bottom of the vat?
      Any photos or ideas would be really appreciated!

Thanks
      Rob
      Robert

Look up strain master. It is what you are describing and would be the economical to get working. The draw back is its efficiency is lower. Anheiser Busch used this type of equipment for many years.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Do what lots of people do. Get a sheet of stainless - say 5 mm thick. support it in the centre and around the edge, and depending on the size of your tun, at various points across the plates to stop it sagging. Drill 0.7 or 0.8 mm holes at no more than 50 mm spaces - from the top. Turn them over and drill dimples from the bottom so you end up with say 1 mm at 0.7 m diameter and the cones on the underside of the plates for the rest of the plate thickness.

Make sure your false floor is level and van be lifted out, if necessary in sections so you can clean underneath.

Don't use tubes - strainmasters (alternative name - Nooter tuns) gave pretty poor extracts at the best of times even in big automated systems. I dread to think what level of extract you would get in a small manual setup.
        dick

Comment

I made my own false bottom for our 200 gallon rectangular dairy tank mash tun from 1 inch diameter copper tubing, and I am very happy with it, been using it over 3 years now. I am having trouble uploading photos, but if you send me a pm with your email, or post your email here, I can send you an email with photos. Used a hacksaw and a simple jig to cut slits every inch, and I have 5 copper tubes, each approximately 3 feet long that come together via several elbows and tees to one outlet. The caps on the end of the tubes are removable so that I can take them off and hose down the inside of the tubes as needed. The outlet of the false bottom sits nicely, moderately snugly, in the outlet of the tank, but is easily removable. Recirculation and efficiency are great. I'm sure there would be small differences to build one for your tank, but if you can visualize it you can probably build it.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
          X