Thread: Malt storage for nano brewery?

Malt storage for nano brewery?

What do you small breweries do for malt storage? I don't have the money or space for a silo. Im looking at the pet food containers, but wanted to hear what everyone else does?

Thanks!

Phil

We use large pet food containers with screw top lids including a seal. The container holds a single 55 lb bag and works great. We have all our bagged grains on pallets on a pallet rack, the containers are on a pallet on the floor. This keeps pests away from bagged grains, and no partial open bags.

Quote Originally Posted by canbrewery View Post
    We use large pet food containers with screw top lids including a seal. The container holds a single 55 lb bag and works great. We have all our bagged grains on pallets on a pallet rack, the containers are on a pallet on the floor. This keeps pests away from bagged grains, and no partial open bags.
    Perfect, thanks for the info. How much malt do you buy at a time? Meaning, how many containers and how long does the malt sit before use? I am thinking multiple brew days at a time, so it may sit for a couple of months?

I use about a dozen specialty grains and about nine base grains. Plus one for Brewers Crystals. I order a full pallet of grains (about 45 bags) each time I take delivery. This is usually every 3 months. I typically have from 20-70 bags of grain around at any time. My typical 2+ bbl brew uses 120-135 lbs of grain, and I double batch each brew. All the spent grains from a full brew day fit in a 55 gal drum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks again, great info for someone just starting out, like myself .. you say that you double batch, do you have two boilers/ burners? How does that work?