Discreetly hiding beer names on tap handles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discreetly hiding beer names on tap handles

We've gone with a very basic tap handle that has no real space for writing beer names or numbers on them. It's also on a clean looking tile backsplash that we don't want to have to write names on. Any ideas on how we can discreetly have our taps named for our servers?

Pic below shows some tap across the top and bottom, but that was just to figure out the lines inside our fridge.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3697.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	196245

We have the same kind of taps for the 21 beers we have available at any given time. Since they rotate quite a bit, we decided to use a Brother P-Touch and use white lettering on the clear background tape. We print it vertical so the names go right on each handle so it's easy for the servers to see. If you want to do it discreetly, then perhaps put a small label on the top of the tap handle with some sort of abbreviation or code? I like having them labeled because the customers can see them as well.

Cheers,
    --
    Don

Comment

Nice backsplash! I understand not wanting to mark it up. We only had a standard stainless backsplash, but even with a fairly industrial aesthetic, we didn't want to write on it. Originally, we used handwritten names with metallic Sharpie on narrow masking tape that we affixed right on the tap handles, but later switched to a label printer, using white text on black tape. Gold text on black tape would look even better, I'd wager. Made switching out beers more of a hassle, since the label tape always left residue, but the black plastic handles are easy to clean. Don't know if this will be useful, but we found that printing horizontally, even when turned sideways to align with the vertical tap handles, was judged more readable by our staff than the vertical printing. Good luck!
      Last edited by spetrovits; 12-11-2019, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Sounds like both ideas above are fairly similar, heading to Amazon now to get a label maker! Thanks!

Comment

We use similar handles, and have miniature chalkboards (maybe 2"X3") that we hang from them. Rustic look, but easy to change, remove, etc. They don't get in the way or get splashed from what I've seen. They look like these, though I am not sure where we bought them.

Name:	FMK00000000A9238-2.jpg
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	191953

Originally posted by atticon View Post
          We've gone with a very basic tap handle that has no real space for writing beer names or numbers on them. It's also on a clean looking tile backsplash that we don't want to have to write names on. Any ideas on how we can discreetly have our taps named for our servers?

Pic below shows some tap across the top and bottom, but that was just to figure out the lines inside our fridge.

[ATTACH]64618[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by atticon View Post
            I'll +1 the Brother PTouch suggestion. That works pretty well. If you don't want to stick tape to the tap handles, you can get some stainless steel dogtags to stick them to. If you get the ones with short attached bead chains, you can hang the tag over the handle and it won't get in the way of anything.

Comment

We just use a grease pen to write right behind the tap handle. We use abbreviation and it is small enough that the customer can't see the writing. I know you want to avoid wirting on the tile, but most people won't see it and it will still look very clean. Also, very very easy to change as we rotate beer. We have a glass tile back splash and it wipes off very easy with some windex or whatever you would use to clean your tile.

Comment

Name:	taps.jpg
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	191960

We used a vinyl cutter (cricut) to make labels for ours.
                Pete Broyles
                Riverport Brewing Co
                Clarkston, WA

Comment

Working...
                X