• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cursed FV or...

Hi
    I posted a couple weeks ago about a stuck fermentation on an IPA
    With the FV rotation, we just filled that vessel on 12/12
    We now have an export stout
    Mash was 153F and it didn’t go out of whack. Temp through out MLT was consistent as far as I can tell. Transfer to KTW was somewhat slow and it was the only hiccup. Mash out at 172F
    We are using S-04 - one pack for 10 BBL. we oxygenated wort during transfer
    We are now day 3 and we are down to 4.5P from 12.7. So ~65% attenuation. Fermentation was kept at 70F and we are at 67.5F currently. Working with heaters to get back at 70 F
    Activity in the blowoff bucket is now close to none

Target FG is 2.5
    Grain bill is made of 440 lbs of pale malt + 60 lbs of flaked + 55 lbs of crystal + black malt

It is the second time we have a beer with attenuation in the 60’s in that FV
    Beside a curse (joke) what could be the source of the trouble (if any... as patience over the next 4 or 5 days could drop the last 2 P?!??)?
    Thanks
    Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Mattieu View Post
    Hi
    I posted a couple weeks ago about a stuck fermentation on an IPA
    With the FV rotation, we just filled that vessel on 12/12
    We now have an export stout
    Mash was 153F and it didn’t go out of whack. Temp through out MLT was consistent as far as I can tell. Transfer to KTW was somewhat slow and it was the only hiccup. Mash out at 172F
    We are using S-04 - one pack for 10 BBL. we oxygenated wort during transfer
    We are now day 3 and we are down to 4.5P from 12.7. So ~65% attenuation. Fermentation was kept at 70F and we are at 67.5F currently. Working with heaters to get back at 70 F
    Activity in the blowoff bucket is now close to none

Target FG is 2.5
    Grain bill is made of 440 lbs of pale malt + 60 lbs of flaked + 55 lbs of crystal + black malt

It is the second time we have a beer with attenuation in the 60’s in that FV
    Beside a curse (joke) what could be the source of the trouble (if any... as patience over the next 4 or 5 days could drop the last 2 P?!??)?
    Thanks
    Matt

That seems like a lot of crystal - have you made this recipe before where it hit that target FV?

Comment

Yes; we usually get to 75%+ attenuation

Comment

We found that S-04 doesn't respond well to oxygenation. We have better luck just pitching it.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldmanriver View Post
          We found that S-04 doesn't respond well to oxygenation. We have better luck just pitching it.
          Thanks. Didn’t know that actually. Would that be the cause for the efficiency drop from 75 to 65?
          We usually pitch the US05 for this beer but we wanted to try it out...

Comment

Working...
          X