PEX for Glycol Line Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PEX for Glycol Line Questions

Is anyone here using PEX for their glycol runs? I have 200ft of the stuff and first, it is stiff. Second, I need to make some turns and I can either use SharkBite 90-degree elbows or a radius bend bracket. The problem with the bracket is mounting it. It would be great if I had studs everywhere, but the wall where the lines will run is concrete. Are SharkBite elbows a bad idea?

Originally posted by AGB View Post
    Is anyone here using PEX for their glycol runs? I have 200ft of the stuff and first, it is stiff. Second, I need to make some turns and I can either use SharkBite 90-degree elbows or a radius bend bracket. The problem with the bracket is mounting it. It would be great if I had studs everywhere, but the wall where the lines will run is concrete. Are SharkBite elbows a bad idea?
    Technically speaking, bends are almost always better than elbows for flow. In most glycol system setups this will not have a major impact. I have used shark bite elbows without issue on glycol drops. You are risking more potential failure (leak) points with an elbow, but if done properly there is no practical issues. Elbows cost more (usually) but they do help make things look nicer.

Tapcon screws are your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by UnFermentable View Post
      Technically speaking, bends are almost always better than elbows for flow. In most glycol system setups this will not have a major impact. I have used shark bite elbows without issue on glycol drops. You are risking more potential failure (leak) points with an elbow, but if done properly there is no practical issues. Elbows cost more (usually) but they do help make things look nicer.

Tapcon screws are your friend.
      Thanks for the input. Leaks are the big worry!

Comment

Do not use shark bite fittings, use regular PEX fittings. If you want a time tested method do it like its been done for decades. Buy a $80 crimper and a bag of 100 3/4" collar rings.

Comment

Just know that there are different types of PEX. I spoke to an engineer at Uponor about PEX-A and he says its good for Glycol. PEX-A is more flexible and uses expansion fittings which are the best according the engineer I spoke with.

PROS

PEX-A Highest flexibility (softness) among all PEX types.
          Kinks can be repaired with a heat gun.
          Highest degree of cross-linking.
          No coil memory.

PEX-B Highest chlorine and oxidative resistance(2)
          Highest bursting pressure.
          Lowest price vs. PEX-A and PEX-C(1).
          Lowest dimensional tolerances.

PEX-C Softer than PEX-B.
          More environmentally-friendly to manufacture.
          Little or no coil memory.

CONS

PEX-A Highest price (100-160% higher than PEX-B)(1).
          Lower bursting pressure than PEX-B.
          Possible residual or leaching chemicals from manufacturing process.
          Variation in wall thickness.

PEX-B Stiffer than PEX-A.
          Lower cross-linking ratio than PEX-A.
          Noticeable coil memory.
          Kinks can only be repaired by splicing (using coupling)

PEX-C Prone to development of cracks.
          Least-uniform cross-linking.
          Least resistance to kinks, which are repairable only with a coupling.

Comment

Thanks Guys. I managed to run my loop and get nice bends without elbows. I have a 100ft roll of blue and 100ft of red and it is not too bad to work with . If you give yourself some room it can be straightened and then re-bent the direction needed. I will need to add a few Tees for the lines dropping off to my tanks. To clarify the type of SharkBite fittings I have are barbed and use either PEX bands or Oetiker clamps. I have Oetiker clamps and the crimper.

Comment

Originally posted by AGB View Post
              Thanks Guys. I managed to run my loop and get nice bends without elbows. I have a 100ft roll of blue and 100ft of red and it is not too bad to work with . If you give yourself some room it can be straightened and then re-bent the direction needed. I will need to add a few Tees for the lines dropping off to my tanks. To clarify the type of SharkBite fittings I have are barbed and use either PEX bands or Oetiker clamps. I have Oetiker clamps and the crimper.
              May I ask what id pipe did you use?

Comment

Originally posted by brewmaster 2011 View Post
                May I ask what id pipe did you use?
                I used this. I Believe it is PEX type A

Comment

How about trunk line size? We only have 4 fermentors, and were going to run 1.5" trunk with 3/4" to each fermentor. Is that sufficient?

Comment

Working...
                  X