Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Papaya beer

Hey fellas,

So I am attempting a pale ale with Papaya in it. What do you guys think when would be best time to add.
    Papaya has proteolytic enzymes so I was thinking of adding at 78 C rest during mash but I guess that won’t give a lot of flavour? If I add in post fermentation will it be a problem for people drinking the beer?

I've never tried papaya, but I'd say either in the cold side or the whirlpool. If you put it in the mash you'll still end up boiling the juice you get in the kettle. If you do cold side you'll still want to denature the enzymes from it, which a quick, but possibly wrong google say is at 85C. Tell us how it goes...I'd be interested in trying it myself one day.

Comment

The protease content of papaya can be a positive or negative impact potentially, depending on when and how much papaya. Preparation of the papaya is key as well. Papain is the main protease discussed in papaya and has similar effects as Bromelain from pineapples. Both are used as a meat tenderizer as well. Both claim to "aid in digestion" which can be a bit of a warning sign.

Protease are an important part of the brewing process though multiple stages, starting in the malting process. The amounts and activity present are an important balance between the ability to hydrolyze starch via breakdown of kernal protein and retain foam stability (among others).

Adding some papaya to a mash will aid in breakdown of the kernal layer and allow better access to starch for other mashing enzymes (Amylase conversion). This helps you. Adding too much will result in enzyme degradation and the breakdown of foam positive proteins. That will work against you. Balance is important. Adding some papaya in the fermentor would have similar trade offs. You may benefit from improved clarity (breakdown of haze-forming proteins), but you risk the degradation of foam positive proteins. Commercially produced protease is available for brewing usage in all these regards.

If you want to make the enzyme content of your papaya a non-factor, then I would suggest you simply denature the enzymes present in the papaya and add it however you think will provide the best flavor impact in your recipe. IE - pasteurize it with your preferred means first. JMHO.

Comment

I’m always a fan of adding it in the bright for optimal aromatics and flavor. The caveat is that you need to find aseptic fruit so there is LESS of a chance for refermentation. There is always a chance, but for the sake of the beer, we have been willing to do it this way.

Comment

Working...
        X