Need pump advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need pump advice

I am putting together a 2bbl 3 vessel system with a Herms. Looking for 2 good pumps on carts that I can adjust speeds. I am putting in new electrical so I can use 115 or 230. It's a 200amp single phase panel. Thinking 3/4 or 1hp pumps.

Will a 3/4 hp pump be good enough for cleaning/spray ball?
    Is there any disadvantage of buying larger say 2hp pump and control the speeds over a 3/4 open wide?

For power, is there any advantage to buying a 115v vs 230v pump? Not for use of electrical but for say life of the pump or parts?

I'm checking out CPE from searching and seeing them listed in many posts. Any other suppliers I can compare?

What spare parts besides a seal kit should I have on hand?

Thank you

3/4 hp is plenty

Sprayballs don't work better with more power. 3/4 is fine. 2 is gross overkill. There is no real voltage advantage, but 3 phase motors are generally a tad more efficient than single phase. Not enough to matter in this size. CPE is a fine vendor. And a seal kit should be all you need to have on hand. Unless you want a spare motor. Good luck!
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Originally posted by gitchegumee View Post
      Sprayballs don't work better with more power. 3/4 is fine. 2 is gross overkill. There is no real voltage advantage, but 3 phase motors are generally a tad more efficient than single phase. Not enough to matter in this size. CPE is a fine vendor. And a seal kit should be all you need to have on hand. Unless you want a spare motor. Good luck!
      Thank you Sir.

Comment

For the voltage question, higher voltage means lower amperage so smaller wires.

To control the speed of the pump, you'll need a 3-phase pump. A proper variable frequency drive will be capable of converting your single-phase to 3-phase to feed the pump.
        Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
        Terminal Gravity Brewing,
        Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working...
        X