Combining 2 batches at different stages of fermentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combining 2 batches at different stages of fermentation

I have a bit of a tank space issue. I am trying to do 10 bbls of a kettle sour on a 5bbl system with 10 bbl fermenters. My original plan was to mash/start souring batch one on day 1 let sit day 2, finish/knockout batch one and mash/start sour of batch two and pitch yeast to batch one on day 3, finish batch two and knockout into same fermenter on day 4. I know that the batches wouldn't have soured for the same amount of time but figured they would even out to a mellow sour.

The problem is that issues popped up on day 3 that left me short on hot liquor and I was not able to mash/start the sour for batch two. Therefore I did it the next day and figured I would just split the batches into two fermenters pitching half the yeast into each one and then once done fermenting combine and age accordingly. So I pitched half my yeast on day 3 to batch one and it has been happy fermenting away. I then found out that I am going to need the tank I was expecting to ferment batch two in and need to figure out how to combine these batches before they are both completely done fermenting. I'm boiling off and knocking batch 2 out tomorrow (day 7 on this timeline)(4 days after yeast was pitched on day 3 to batch one) and am wondering what the best course of action would be.

As I see it I have a couple options

1. Knock out into original FV and just hope to kick fermentation back into high gear to finish batch 2.

2. Same as option 1 but also pitch second half of yeast that I was saving for batch two

3. Same as option 2 but dump the yeast off of FV before knocking out into it and then pitching the second half of my yeast.

4. Knockout batch 2 into different FV pitch second half of yeast wait till high Krausen the next day and transfer batch one into fermenting batch two.

Thanks in advance

Generally speaking multi day filling of tanks goes something like this:
    Day 1: knockout first batch with oxygen, pitch yeast for 100% of the batch.
    Day 2: knockout second batch with oxygen if doing a third, no oxygen if this is the final.
    Day 3: same as 2, no oxygen.
    then the fermentation will go off as normal, the growth phase would have been extended through two days to get you to the right yeast for the whole thing.

Since you're behined the 8 ball and growth is already done in the first batch, and probably is totally done, you have two options. Run the next batch in slowly over a day, kindof like a continuous feeding for growing yeast, though you dont use oxygen, or as you stated, let the second batch get to high krausen and then add it to the first.

Best option would probably be to mix at high krausen. But you may find that the profile is different in the end than you expected.

Comment

Yea I decided to go with the safest option. I knocked out into the empty FV and pitched the second half of my yeast. I'm going to be transfering the first batch into the second tomorrow and prepping the emptied tank for a new batch on Thursday.

Cheers and happy New year!

Comment

Working...
      X