Insulation on a brew kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulation on a brew kettle

How necessary would insulation be on a brew kettle for a seven barrel bk... other than being hot to be around... can it be manageable?
    Cheers,
    Rick Blevens
    Templar Brewing
    4449 Thatcher Rd
    Alton, IL 62002

follow me:
    Facebook Templar Brewing
    Twitter @templarbrewing

Extremely Dangerous!! And most likely non-compliant with any local codes.

Comment

Originally posted by TiminOz View Post
      Extremely Dangerous!! And most likely non-compliant with any local codes.
      Wonder why they would even sell one uninstalled...?
      Thanks
      Cheers,
      Rick Blevens
      Templar Brewing
      4449 Thatcher Rd
      Alton, IL 62002

follow me:
      Facebook Templar Brewing
      Twitter @templarbrewing

Comment

Not recommending it, but it could be manageable. I used to have an old 600 liter (functionally 4 bbl) Letina wine fermenter as a brew kettle, had a wok style gas burner underneath. The burner had a heat shield around it to focus heat up to the kettle, but the kettle was uninsulated. It was HOT in the brewhouse on brew days , but I used it for about 2 years, and managed not to seriously scald myself. I bought it used from another brewery that had used it for a few years, and have now sold it to another start up that is on a budget and planning on using it as a hot liquor tank. I now have a nice professional insulated 7 bbl kettle from Forgeworks, and I am extremely happy with it.

So, manageable? Yes. Recommended? I will leave that decision to you.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by backslope View Post
          Not recommending it, but it could be manageable. I used to have an old 600 liter (functionally 4 bbl) Letina wine fermenter as a brew kettle, had a wok style gas burner underneath. The burner had a heat shield around it to focus heat up to the kettle, but the kettle was uninsulated. It was HOT in the brewhouse on brew days , but I used it for about 2 years, and managed not to seriously scald myself. I bought it used from another brewery that had used it for a few years, and have now sold it to another start up that is on a budget and planning on using it as a hot liquor tank. I now have a nice professional insulated 7 bbl kettle from Forgeworks, and I am extremely happy with it.

So, manageable? Yes. Recommended? I will leave that decision to you.

Good luck.
          Thanks for the help!!!
          Cheers,
          Rick Blevens
          Templar Brewing
          4449 Thatcher Rd
          Alton, IL 62002

follow me:
          Facebook Templar Brewing
          Twitter @templarbrewing

Comment

I am getting ready to use a 400 gallon single wall tank with direct fire as a BK myself. I was trying to find some way to insulate the sides as well. I was thinking maybe some ceramic insulation like they use on boilers, just haven't figured out how to attach it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by jawsfree View Post
              I am getting ready to use a 400 gallon single wall tank with direct fire as a BK myself. I was trying to find some way to insulate the sides as well. I was thinking maybe some ceramic insulation like they use on boilers, just haven't figured out how to attach it yet.
              I used to work at a refinery... wish I had access to the insulation they had laying around.......
              Cheers,
              Rick Blevens
              Templar Brewing
              4449 Thatcher Rd
              Alton, IL 62002

follow me:
              Facebook Templar Brewing
              Twitter @templarbrewing

Comment

Brick works- 1 layer of fire brick and one for the outside to look nice.

Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
                tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
                "Your results may vary"

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Briggs View Post
                  Brick works- 1 layer of fire brick and one for the outside to look nice.

https://www.portstreetbeerhouse.co.u...chment/grittys
                  Interesting!
                  Cheers,
                  Rick Blevens
                  Templar Brewing
                  4449 Thatcher Rd
                  Alton, IL 62002

follow me:
                  Facebook Templar Brewing
                  Twitter @templarbrewing

Comment

It also depends on how the kettle is heated. There is not really a reason why that would create a code violation if the kettle is steam or electric heated. Foam or batting wrapped around the kettle and protected from soaking and physical damage could be workable.
                    WaterEng
                    Engineering Consultant

Comment

Originally posted by WaterEng View Post
                      It also depends on how the kettle is heated. There is not really a reason why that would create a code violation if the kettle is steam or electric heated. Foam or batting wrapped around the kettle and protected from soaking and physical damage could be workable.
                      Thanks for the info! Lots of stuff to consider.
                      Cheers,
                      Rick Blevens
                      Templar Brewing
                      4449 Thatcher Rd
                      Alton, IL 62002

follow me:
                      Facebook Templar Brewing
                      Twitter @templarbrewing

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarBrewing View Post
                        I used to work at a refinery... wish I had access to the insulation they had laying around.......
                        Hey Rick, the insulation you are talking about is readily available, as are the pins to attach it. I'll PM you some info.
                        Robert "Red" Westphal
                        Quality Manager/Certified Welding Inspector/Independent Stainless Steel Fabricator
                        Phone: 719-661-8602

Comment

I would be interested in that info as well. Is it rockwool?

Comment

Originally posted by torque2 View Post
                            I would be interested in that info as well. Is it rockwool?
                            torque2 I PM'd you.
                            Robert "Red" Westphal
                            Quality Manager/Certified Welding Inspector/Independent Stainless Steel Fabricator
                            Phone: 719-661-8602

Comment

Insulation on a brew kettle

I would highly recommend insulation on all tanks. Especially 3 bbls and bigger. I wouldn't want to lose my business over a few bucks from an accidental burn. In my opinion without insulation it's only a matter of time before someone gets a permanent scar or worse.

Safety - with insulation the odds of a burn are much less
                              Efficiency - Much more efficient with insulation. I've had results of getting to a boil 15 mins faster with insulation. If you are brewing 3 times a week that adds up to 37.5 hrs at 50 weeks! This is 2 week vacation paid for by the insulation. Without insulation the heat escaping kettle into the brewery will put a bigger toll on your AC and make bill higher for cooling the brewery. Also putting more strain on the AC unit and shortening the lifespan.

SAFETY is my biggest concern. To me a few bucks to ensure that I don't lose my dream brewery to an accidental burn is worth the small cost of insulation.

I hope this helps. If you need any pricing for some insulated tanks please feel free to reach out to myself or any of our other experienced brewers. For our tanks it's typically around $800-1000 for insulation.

Cheers,

Mike Paladino
                              Brewery Design Consultant
                              support@stouttanks.com
                              Stout Tanks and Kettles, LLC
                              Buy quality commercial brewing and home brewing equipment including brew kettles, conical fermenters, mash tuns, hot liquor tanks, brite tanks, kegs, IBC totes, Wine Tanks, brew in bag, brewhouses, and more.

The Craft Brewery Experts:
                              Beer, Kombucha, Wine, Cider, Mead, Cold Brew Coffee
                              503-372-9580 (Office)
                              503-766-3206 (Direct)

WATCH OUR FRESH HOPS VIDEO – “HOP FARM TO GLASS”
                              Hop harvest is the only time of year to make fresh hop beer. Stout Tanks and Threshold Brewing and Blending team up to bring you this fresh hop treat.Turn th...

Comment

Working...
                              X