alternatives to Mosaic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alternatives to Mosaic

Often when I am asked to brew a new IPA, that unless the hop bill contains Mosaic or Citra, it's not deemed hoppy or modern (I hate that term) enough.

Are there any new hops or hop combos on the horizon which brewers are using which can give Mosaic a run for its money?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Hey Rob,

Galaxy, El Dorado and Azacca are excellent hops too in my opinion. El Dorado is straight up pineapple for me, but since it's hard to get at the moment, Azacca is a pretty good substitute. I would combine them with another maybe bit more pungent hop though, since both seems to be more subtle in flavor than Mosaic.

Cheers,
    Allard

Comment

Someone also mentioned Sabro today.

Comment

Coincidentally we just got a few bags of it in today. Once we’ve made something with it, I’ll let you know what our take on it is.

Comment

I have some coming too next week, so Ill see how I go as well.

thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by Allard View Post
            Hey Rob,

Galaxy, El Dorado and Azacca are excellent hops too in my opinion. El Dorado is straight up pineapple for me, but since it's hard to get at the moment, Azacca is a pretty good substitute. I would combine them with another maybe bit more pungent hop though, since both seems to be more subtle in flavor than Mosaic.

Cheers,
            Allard
            I would agree with this. But damn, Galaxy is quite $pendy.

Comment

Mosaic Extract

If this product performs as good as it smells I switching to
              All extract. will not waste product with dumping all that leafy green product from pellets.
              I'll keep you posted.
              Brew day SOLA with Mosaic.
              Countrymalt Spot Hop selection.
              High up front cost but use less in process.
              Lance

Comment

Originally posted by nohandslance View Post
                If this product performs as good as it smells I switching to
                All extract. will not waste product with dumping all that leafy green product from pellets.
                I'll keep you posted.
                Brew day SOLA with Mosaic.
                Countrymalt Spot Hop selection.
                High up front cost but use less in process.
                Lance
                Is this made with Natural or Artificial cat Pee?
                Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
                tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
                "Your results may vary"

Comment

There is a new Hop blend from Hopsteiner i have been trialling here called Trident. Has some amazing big Pine Apple tropical fruit aromas coming. Works great as a Dry Hop

Comment

Originally posted by Allard View Post
                    Coincidentally we just got a few bags of it in today. Once we’ve made something with it, I’ll let you know what our take on it is.
                    Well, I got around to making an IPA with Sabro (and some Citra) and it's doesn't disappoint. It's got a sweet fruit character that reminds me of coconut and/or pineapple. The comparison with pina colada has been made several times on different forums, and I can only agree with that. I used only a subtle amount of dryhop but it's interesting and tasty nonetheless.

Did you get around to using it, Rob?

Comment

Working...
                    X