No Sparge with Oversized Mash Tun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Sparge with Oversized Mash Tun

So brewing isn't our main business, we make craft malt and have been brewing small batches on a 1 bbl system for the last two years. We're now moving to a bigger system. Another local brewery upgraded and we had the opportunity to a 7 bbl two vessel (mash tun and boil kettle). We have purchased two 5bbl and a 10bbl unitanks.

I am just reaching out to see if anyone else does no sparge brewing. The math works in theory to fill the mash with the total water volume. I know that the efficiency will suffer, but by how much? Any tips, tricks, and/or advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Originally posted by smastroianni View Post
    So brewing isn't our main business, we make craft malt and have been brewing small batches on a 1 bbl system for the last two years. We're now moving to a bigger system. Another local brewery upgraded and we had the opportunity to a 7 bbl two vessel (mash tun and boil kettle). We have purchased two 5bbl and a 10bbl unitanks.

I am just reaching out to see if anyone else does no sparge brewing. The math works in theory to fill the mash with the total water volume. I know that the efficiency will suffer, but by how much? Any tips, tricks, and/or advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Get 5 bbl or so sized single shell stainless hot liquor back. Make your hot liquor strike water in the brew kettle, mash in from the brew kettle. Top off hot liquor to the volume of the hot liquor back and bring back to a boil. After reaching a boil, transfer from brew kettle to hot liquor back. Finish vorlauf of the mash, drain residual from brew kettle or pump to top of mash. Sparge from hot liquor back. Lauter into brew kettle.

A few steps, bit not too much involved for a single brew per day system.
    Todd G Hicks
    BeerDenizen Brewing Services

Comment

Due to space constraints we run a two vessel 5bbl brew house, we use an on demand hot water heater with a commercial controller that runs up to 185 degrees F for sparging. Has worked well for us for 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2low View Post
        Due to space constraints we run a two vessel 5bbl brew house, we use an on demand hot water heater with a commercial controller that runs up to 185 degrees F for sparging. Has worked well for us for 5 years.
        This - Noritz makes a nice commercial grade unit. If you're above 10hL/bbl then I'd look at the Hot Liquor Back solution Todd mentions.

Comment

Originally posted by smastroianni View Post

Cheers
          What are the reasons for wanting to do a no sparge mash?

Comment

Working...
          X