Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Septic Malt Extract Brewpub

Hello everybody,

I am looking to start a small brewpub. I found a location that might work but it is on a septic system instead of on city sewer. Wanted to see if anyone can provide some information if a small 5bbl-7bbl brewpub can be done on a septic system.

I was thinking if we didn’t mash and used Briess CBW (concentrated brewers wort) malt extract as our base it could reduce the load on a septic system. The brewery wouldn’t need the water and drainage for mashing and would not need a hot liquor tank if we used malt extract instead. Would going malt extract make a septic tank property doable for a small brewpub???

Thank you all for your advice regarding this situation :-)
    Last edited by Catfish002; 01-20-2020, 07:39 PM.

While there have been a few breweries that have done ok on malt extract, it really isn't a great way to make great beer. You'll make ok beer. That said, the volume of water you use is only going to be reduced by at most 25% from a full mash system. Add that to a brew pub, and I would bet that any septic system that would work for this, would not cost a whole bunch more to just make bigger to accommodate doing a full brew vs extract. Out here, we have seen that some will side stream all of the brewery waste and have it stored in a big tank. They then get it periodically pumped out or trucked to a sewage plant at a pretty favorable rate.

Comment

Working...
    X