Jet flo pump leaks/oxidation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jet flo pump leaks/oxidation?

My partner swears up and down that the flojets are oxidizing the beer. We push with compressed air. Hes convinced they leak air and oxidize the beer. All of them. As in, every single one is defective. I find it hard to believe.

Samples from the tap and the tank see no difference for me personally, besides the tank sample being a bit more aromatic but also flat- its just blasts out the sample port so its mostly foam. Not the way you wanna serve beer. So not exactly apples to apples 100% comparison, granted, but i just dont see a substantive difference beyond that

Everybody/anybody else seeing flojets oxidize their beer? Having to use nitro or co2 to push pumps?

I just have a hard time believing that pumps which by their design should never let the propellant touch the beer have all failed/ruptured/leaked. All of them.

Yeah. No.

Used many dozens of these over the years and never had an issue. If they did leak you'd hear the pump chug when taps are closed. Think your pal might have an irrational fear of these. Push with CO2 without telling him/her and see whether the beer is still "oxidized". If it is, then you need to look elsewhere--like your BBT purge. It's not the pumps.
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Running a compressor is a lot cheaper than co2.

When they go you notice it- constant pumping. Enough to fill a walk in, ie. dangerous. Another reason to use air and not co2.

Do a blind triangle test to taste. 3 beers, one of them different. Have a bartender pour them and have 3 tasters-pick the different one. Calibrate with a beer that is obviously oxidised --The same beer in a mason jar half full, let sit a few days warm then chill back down.

I like that sneaky switching gasses--ha

Relax and have a Craftbrew!
      Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
      tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
      "Your results may vary"

Comment

No way. Just ain't happening, unless someone has sabotaged them. Even then, as mentioned, any leak between the propellant and product would be very obvious--horrible foaming at the very least.

If you do decide to do a tricky test using CO2, be sure to vent the exhausted gas outside the walk-in. CO2 accumulating in a small closed space is very dangerous.
        Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
        Terminal Gravity Brewing,
        Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

I recently came to discover that our beer pumps are almost certainly contributing to our beer oxidizing in draft lines, but not in the way you might expect (for what it's worth, we actually use CO2 to propel the pumps as well). I believe that the self-priming feature of these sorts of pumps is sucking minute amounts of air into the line every time they fire. The problem here is no doubt exacerbated due to certain fittings having imperfect seals, but maybe you're seeing something similar?

Comment

Working...
          X