Spear removal tool recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spear removal tool recommendations?

Planning on buying one and have seen a couple different designs out there. Which is better?
    This one?
    This beer keg valve removal press tool is very useful for removing North American, D-System Micro Matic keg valves. Made of solid stainless steel.

Or maybe this one?

Or something else ?

I have the sabco. Def makes the job easier but it is still no fun at all if doing more than a few at a time.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Comment

I believe the Amazon link is for removing screw in style spears rather than the more standard lock ring style.
      As stated the sabco does work but it's not the most fun. But be warned that the sabco can egg the neck of a keg rendering it almost impossible to remove the spear if the C shaped plate on the bottom doesn't fit the neck just right. (I know from experience that it doesn't on some kegs.)

I took the head off of the sabco and had a local fabricator fit it on a large vice screw (around 40 bucks on Amazon I think.) And build a frame around the whole keg. Now I can pull a stem in less than a minute. I'll take some photos and post them later this week.

Comment

The first is fro drop ins- the second is for screw-ins.
        If you never done this before id be glad to show you- maybe sat. before the beerfest? Or I could come up next week.
        Let me know
        Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
        tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
        "Your results may vary"

Comment

I'd recommend getting the tool(s) from MicroMatic themselves. If you're using quality Sanke kegs, MicroMatic makes the valves. Be sure you also get a couple of the safety ring knives.

As an aside, I recently needed to buy some more seals for keg valves. None of my usual suppliers carry them anymore. I had seen the seals on MM's website, but they were no longer posted there. I called MM and it seems that they no longer sell them to the public. As a registered brewery (whatever that means), I can buy them, but had to set up a separate account with the kegs division of MM.

I guess a liability problem?

Anyhow, the fellow I spoke to at MM's keg division was very helpful and was able to streamline our repair process some. He also sent me some great viddys on the process, which opened my eyes to some common mistakes that many of us are making! One was that the safety ring knives are made from a soft mild steel, as using a screwdriver--as I have been doing--to remove the ring can damage the slot that ring goes into, making it impossible to seat a new ring. Seems I've been going about this completely wrong, as I was taught by a previous boss.
          Last edited by TGTimm; 02-03-2020, 03:35 PM.
          Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
          Terminal Gravity Brewing,
          Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Briggs View Post
            If you never done this before id be glad to show you- maybe sat. before the beerfest? Or I could come up next week.
            Let me know
            You sure the second is for screw ins? We just got a deal on some 50l kegs cuz they’re screw instead of lock ring. Figured wed need a separate tool but didn’t think this one looked “right” vs the usual tool for regular spears.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Briggs View Post
              Let me know
              Thanks Ted - I’d appreciate that. I’m sure I’ll show up pretty early Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by TGTimm View Post
                I'd recommend getting the tool(s) from MicroMatic themselves. If you're using quality Sanke kegs, MicroMatic makes the valves. Be sure you also get a couple of the safety ring knives.

As an aside, I recently needed to buy some more seals for keg valves. None of my usual suppliers carry them anymore. I had seen the seals on MM's website, but they were no longer posted there. I called MM and it seems that they no longer sell them to the public. As a registered brewery (whatever that means), I can buy them, but had to set up a separate account with the kegs division of MM.

I guess a liability problem?

Anyhow, the fellow I spoke to at MM's keg division was very helpful and was able to streamline our repair process some. He also sent me some great viddys on the process, which opened my eyes to some common mistakes that many of us are making! One was that the safety ring knives are made from a soft mild steel, as using a screwdriver--as I have been doing--to remove the ring can damage the slot that ring goes into, making it impossible to seat a new ring. Seems I've been going about this completely wrong, as I was taught by a previous boss.
                Hi Somenerve, and thank you for the endorsement, Timm! Somenerve, I'm happy to also coach you (and anyone who legitimately owns or works on kegs in a licensed commercial beverage company ) on safety, and on which tools are appropriate for use for various Micro Matic keg spear/keg neck types. Give me a call, my contact info is here: https://www.micromatic.com/Keg-Valves

Cheers, Jon Graber - Micro Matic Packaging Division Sales Manager, Western States and Provinces

Comment

Working...
                X