Food Grade Hose For Hot Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food Grade Hose For Hot Water

Hey folks, been doing some searching around here, and realised I need *proper* food grade hose for my nano-brewpub. I've been given a quote for this hose from Gates, just looking for advice on whether it's appropriate to use within the brewery for:
    • filling the HLT from an instantaneous hot water heater (water comes out at about 70C)
    • transferring hot liquor to the MLT
    • hot and cold washdown

I'm finding that here in Tasmania, suppliers don't a lot of experience with breweries, so it's difficult to get a clear "this is what you need" answer

Hi David,

I wanted to at least get the conversation started by showing some of the transfer hoses we carry. I'm sure others will chime in with their recommendations. All of our transfer hoses are food grade, rated for high temps, and come with Type 304 stainless steel fittings that are crimped for full flow. The differences are usually in the exterior covering (easier to clean) or the flexibility (more flexible is better). For example, the GlideTech is popular because the glossy, corrugated cover is superior to porous covers that collect dirt and it allows water to flow underneath instead of puddling. The Novaflex is better for higher alcohol content so we recommend that for distilleries. The Vintner Reserve has a crush-proof, reinforced cover. Unfortunately, we only ship to the US and Canada. But I hope this helps. Perhaps you can find a distributor carrying these brands down in Oz.

These brewer transfer hoses are perfect for in-plant or tank trunk transfers of beer, wine, and spirits. Browse our collection of transfer hoses online.

Regards,

Chris Joyce
    Union Jack Tools

Originally posted by davidn View Post
    Hey folks, been doing some searching around here, and realised I need *proper* food grade hose for my nano-brewpub. I've been given a quote for this hose from Gates, just looking for advice on whether it's appropriate to use within the brewery for:
    • filling the HLT from an instantaneous hot water heater (water comes out at about 70C)
    • transferring hot liquor to the MLT
    • hot and cold washdown

I'm finding that here in Tasmania, suppliers don't a lot of experience with breweries, so it's difficult to get a clear "this is what you need" answer
    Union Jack Tools
    (800) 672-8119
    Unionjacktools.com
    sales@unionjacktools.com

Comment

Yeah, I can see Tas being a problem.

We're really liking this stuff from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Goodyear wash-down hose at a very good price.
      Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
      Terminal Gravity Brewing,
      Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by Union Jack Tools View Post
        Hi David,

I wanted to at least get the conversation started by showing some of the transfer hoses we carry...
        Thanks, Chris, appreciate your input. Down the track, I'll definitely need to invest in some lengths of quality transfer hose, but I'm finding that with a 1BBL set up, silicone hoses are mostly sufficient on the non-suction side. The hose I was quoted will obviously do for rinsing out kettles, etc, it's the filling of the HLT with 75° C (167° F) water that I'm wondering about

Comment

Originally posted by TGTimm View Post

Goodyear wash-down hose at a very good price.
          Thanks, Timm. Just took a look at the TG website, really lovely looking location you folks have there

Flow rate aside, would you use that hose to fill a hot liquor tank with water already at 75° C / 167° F?

Comment

Our HLT runs at 183-188F. No problems in over a year of using these hoses. One nice thing is that they don't have the steel wire in the casing, which tends to break out and become a hazard as the hose ages. The Goodyear hose will also spring back if crushed, unlike the wire-wound style.
            Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
            Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Awesome, thanks Timm!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We use santoprene hose we buy in 50ft rolls for water and even lower pressure wort tranfer. we use the blue/whit lining for output and grey stuff for input on our cip pump (3bbl setup) and the red stuff for our whirlpool

Comment

Silicone, non braided if you arent putting pressure over 6-10 psi on it. Braided if you are going to be leaving valves closed while you turn your pump on. Silicone doesn't leach any plastic flavors, and it is heat stable up to 500+ degrees f

Anything EPDM usually works good too.

Comment

I tried researching the different hose types and some advertise that they will not retain oders or contribute off flavors and other dont, even when the material the lining is made of is listed as the same. I honestly dont know how much of of this is related to actual material differences or marketing but I found none of the 4 types of hoses we purchased have any off flavor effects on the water or beer. I did test this to the best of my abilities with letting hot water pumped through the hoses cool and side by side tasting. Its just my opinion here but for smaller nanos I dont see the point in paying the cost per foot for hoses obviously designed for massive systems and much bigger pumps. If I would have known about the wash down hose above I would have purchased it..

TGTimm have you used this hose at all for wort transfer or just water?

Comment

We use the Goodyear hose for wash-down and CIP water only. All wort/product transfer hoses are brewery/winery rated hoses we get from CPE--a sponsor here--and have them terminated with hydraulically-swagged ends.

We have had the experience of a contaminated hose spreading infection throughout the fermenter hall. Dumping a few thousand barrels of ruined beer is not only heart- (and wallet-) breaking, but it's a logistical nightmare. At one point, an impatient brewer kicked a throttled valve fully open. An hour later, we had a visit from the city water bureau--the lids were floating off the manholes all the way down the street, flooding the streets with foam!

At that time, we were making up our own hoses using barb fittings and Band-It clamps. That practice stopped immediately.

Hoses are the last place you want to even contemplate cutting corners.
                      Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
                      Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
                        That all makes more sense when your brewing hundred of gallons vs less than a hundred and pumping at 30gpm vs 5gpm.. On our budget and size pulling the ends off and cleaning them still outweighs spending thousands on hoses that still need to be replaced every couple years as the lining breaks down. we have 110ft of hose due to placement limitations which doesnt help. We mainly use the same stuff stout sells with thier nano sytems which is food grade santoprene but do have both the red and grey wine and brewers hoses where they make the most sense.
                        Last edited by augiedoggy; 02-25-2020, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X