single phase power and 3 phase glycol chillers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• single phase power and 3 phase glycol chillers

For most of my equipment i'm planning on using VFD's to convert power for small 3 phase pumps. However, when it comes to the glycol chiller, a single phase chiller the size i need will consume about 27 amps fully loaded. I can also find 3 phase chillers for a lot cheaper, and im under the impression that i cant run a glycol chiller off a VFD because there are multiple different pumps and components that require 3 phase.

Wondering if it is more advisable and economically to just get a big single phase chiller, or should i get a 3 phase chiller and run it off a rotary phase converter?
    I dont love the idea of a rotary phase converter running and consuming power 24/7, but is it the best option?

You do NOT have 3 phase Power?

So your trying to use the VFD from your single phase power source to power a three phase chiller? each component may be able to be on it's own vfd..Have you talked to G&D or ProRefrigeration already??

Comment

i have not talked to any refrigeration dealer about it yet.

if its possible we could use VFD's or a phase converter. but there is a constant draw on phase converters, its another motor running 24/7

Dan

Comment

What about breaking up the duty to 2 smaller chillers? Is this possible? it may have other advantages such as in the case of a failure as well?

Comment

Originally posted by augiedoggy View Post
          What about breaking up the duty to 2 smaller chillers? Is this possible? it may have other advantages such as in the case of a failure as well?
          I am actually considering this, i can find some smaller used chillers pretty readily that are decent prices. The overall amperage is going to be higher but the initial cost is lower

Comment

We just went ovr this on our build, but in terms of 208 vs 480v. Three phase will be cheaper to wire but will require a phase converter if i understand your situation correctly. Check with your local inspectors. Will they require an engineering report for the converter? Will they allow you to buy a used one to save some dough? Will they allow you to upsize it to allow for future expansion or limit you to matching the proposed chiller only?

As i understand a 3p compressor wont run off single phase. Not sure you can power it with vfd unless you really hack into the chiller wiring. Sounds a bit sketchy.

As auggy says, consider two smaller chillers. We got ours for a fraction of what a new large unit costs. You can plumb them so you can switch them between master and slave evrry few weeks to spread out the usage. More wiring and plumbing up front but itll save you on power in long run.

Comment

I am absolutely not the expert in this area, but I would suggest you also consult with the power company on the billing practices and how they might be affected by your choice. I have seen varying situations where peak demand can cause charges to increase dramatically despite the total usage remaining similar between billing periods. Basically more amps at lower voltage requires larger transmission costs and they are passed on to the consumer in the increased billing rate. IE - It costs more to run two coffee makers at once than it does to run two pots of coffee on one maker due to the peak demand requirements.

So yes, an initial investment may indeed be cheaper, but you really want to consider the true rate of return on the utility costs. The fact is your initial purchase is a fixed cost while utilities are not likely to reduce long term. Every project will have a particular balance point.

Comment

We ended up using a converter. It has run continuously for a decade. Got it at a flea market very used. The power company wanted $17k (you read that right) to drop 3 phase to the building. Worked well but was noisy - we got used to it.

Coincidentally I have moved locations and now have 3 phase power. PM me if you're interested in the converter. I'm in southwest VA so not unreasonably far from you.

Chris

Comment

Which model converter is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X