Mash Rake Motor and Gearbox Sizes??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mash Rake Motor and Gearbox Sizes??

Hello looking to see the most common SEW EURODRIVE motor and gear box OEM HP sizes and model numbers for BOTH 10 Bbl and 15 Bbl Mash/Lauter Tun Rakes?

Also any other brands you may be using also welcome. Please list manufacturer and model numbers..

Thanks for sharing what you can...Dean

I like Nord- good customer service. In my case if our VFD's were also Nord it would have made things much better/easier to balance. So whatever you get, make sure the controls match the hardwear.
    Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
    tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
    "Your results may vary"

Comment

I am also looking for this information if anyone has additional specs. I have a 20hl system that I am trying to find American parts for.

Comment

This question is far more complex than what you've made it out to be. There should be a ton of engineering in your selection process. Starting with: Depth of grain bed, diameter of grain bed, speed of rakes, rake design, torque necessary, reverse cycle for mash out? Over bed, or under tun design? Those just starting points. And then the motor must be properly protected with a motor control center that includes either properly configured VFD, or a Motor Control Center with properly set overload relays. Personally, I would suggest against rakes for anything under about 25-30bbl. I like to inspect my spent grain bed up close and a shovel can be used as a sort of diagnostic tool to evaluate mash tun bed effectiveness. Rakes just one more thing to buy, one more thing to maintain, one more thing to go wrong, one more thing to clean. I'll opt for simple and gentle.
        Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

• Yan
          Yan commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello gitchegumee. Do you have any information on the resistance of the mash and the spent grain for the torque calculation? I have all my formula, but I don't find any technical data about the product.

Originally posted by gitchegumee View Post
        This question is far more complex than what you've made it out to be. There should be a ton of engineering in your selection process. Starting with: Depth of grain bed, diameter of grain bed, speed of rakes, rake design, torque necessary, reverse cycle for mash out? Over bed, or under tun design? Those just starting points. And then the motor must be properly protected with a motor control center that includes either properly configured VFD, or a Motor Control Center with properly set overload relays. Personally, I would suggest against rakes for anything under about 25-30bbl. I like to inspect my spent grain bed up close and a shovel can be used as a sort of diagnostic tool to evaluate mash tun bed effectiveness. Rakes just one more thing to buy, one more thing to maintain, one more thing to go wrong, one more thing to clean. I'll opt for simple and gentle.
        I understand the engineering I was looking for a general size for these systems. I currently have rakes that need maintenance. Also no rakes at 5 batches a day would not be very good for the longevity of my brewers so I do not want to get rid of them below is additional information.

I should have given more insight. I currently have rakes on my system. My mash tun was outfitted with a Chinese Gear Reduction box and motor. I need to find similar systems for the replacement of this unit. My current motor is 1.5kW, 240V, 1400 r/min,50Hz. My gear box has limited information I was told by a motor and gearbox rebuild company. I have the part number but finding accurate information is proving difficult. It is an XLD4 - 4.3 - 1.5kw. Listed on the second line is one number 14.4. Third line is a section listed as No. 2012022. That I was told was not enough info to find a different box.

Comment

Well then! Had no idea this was replacement rather than full on start-from-scratch. If you're replacing with new, then you can get exactly what you need. I suggest VFD to be able to fine tune exact speed, especially if you're cutting the bed as well as graining-out. It's also a great way to monitor torque and limit motor current. But do not rely on the VFD to "turn down" the system too much; get a drive as close to operational speed as you can. Seems as though mounting & shaft size/keyway would be your hurdle.... There may be used options in conveyor drives, or other used gearboxes if you have the mounting to support them... If you could operate the unit you have now with an ammeter to measure current, you'd get an idea of torque required for your rakes & particular mash characteristics.

Comment

gitchegumee, would you explain to us all how to use the ammeter to measure current and convert to torque measurements. Thanks for your input. These questions will certainly be valued as more peoples Chinese equipment ages. I agree with you regarding eliminating the rakes all together. Simple is best! I chose to replace the unit I was working on with a NOS SEWDrive found off ebay....hoping all goes well..

Comment

An ammeter is a simple tool that you may use to compare your running current to that on the nameplate. It's a crude way of measuring the % load of the motor. Amps cannot be directly converted to torque without motor specifics. But it can be safe to assume that if you measure 3.4 amps on a motor with a nameplate that states the maximum amperage is 3.4 amps; you will also have 100% torque for that motor at that point.

Comment

Working...
              X