No announcement yet.

SS Brewtech 3.5 BBL jacketed fermenter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SS Brewtech 3.5 BBL jacketed fermenter.

Anybody see a serious design flaw here with safety in mind? Let me know if I'm missing something. Notice the placement of the PRV atop the vessel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pic one.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	196290Click image for larger version

Name:	pic two.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	196291
    Last edited by troublebeer; 02-08-2020, 10:58 AM.

The 1.5 inch vent pipe is going to have to be brushed through to ensure it is cleaned - 1.5 inch pipework requires a flow of 7200 litres / hour to clean (based on 2 metres / 7 ft per sec for this size pipe rather than 1.5 metres / 5 ft per sec which is normally quoted for turbulent flow) If you are going to leave the gas vent valve open during fermentation, then the PRV is rather pointless, but accept it might work for end of ferm spunding, or use as a bright tank. I assume you have to take off the PRV and replace with the sprayhead. If using caustic for cleaning, or hot caustic and cold rinse water, then you will have to leave the vent pipe open to act a vacuum relief. So you can't clean that pipe at the same time or you would have a gas tight tank.

You should take off the pressure gauge when you clean and brush out the pipe as this is far too long to be cleanable properly by any spray from the sprayball, so will gradually build up infection if you don't do this.

The same applies to all the fittings, temperature probe, sample point, racking arm and carb stone.
    Last edited by dick murton; 02-08-2020, 11:43 AM. Reason: Change anti vac valve for sprayhead
    dick

Comment

Originally posted by dick murton View Post
      The 1.5 inch vent pipe is going to have to be brushed through to ensure it is cleaned - 1.5 inch pipework requires a flow of 7200 litres / hour to clean (based on 2 metres / 7 ft per sec for this size pipe rather than 1.5 metres / 5 ft per sec which is normally quoted for turbulent flow) If you are going to leave the gas vent valve open during fermentation, then the PRV is rather pointless, but accept it might work for end of ferm spunding, or use as a bright tank. I assume you have to take off the PRV and replace with the sprayhead. If using caustic for cleaning, or hot caustic and cold rinse water, then you will have to leave the vent pipe open to act a vacuum relief. So you can't clean that pipe at the same time or you would have a gas tight tank.

You should take off the pressure gauge when you clean and brush out the pipe as this is far too long to be cleanable properly by any spray from the sprayball, so will gradually build up infection if you don't do this.

The same applies to all the fittings, temperature probe, sample point, racking arm and carb stone.
      My point is you should always have PRV valve in place and the design doesn’t allow for this because you have to put CIP ball in place of the PRV. The PRV is 2” TC and the only only two ports are 1.5”. What happens when a guy forgets to vent while cleaning? Seriously an overlooked design flaw to me.

Comment

You're right. I should have made it clear it would be necessary to leave the vent pipe disconnected / open to atmosphere. That's the best you can do with this design. It wouldn't be safe to unclamp the lid and leave it cracked open - too much CIP would come out. I suggest the pressure gauge is also left off during CIP, if necessary put some sort of loose "top hat" over both the open vent and pressure gauge stubs.
        dick

Comment

Originally posted by troublebeer View Post
          My point is you should always have PRV valve in place and the design doesn’t allow for this because you have to put CIP ball in place of the PRV. The PRV is 2” TC and the only only two ports are 1.5”. What happens when a guy forgets to vent while cleaning? Seriously an overlooked design flaw to me.
          I would swap the gauge with the PR valve to its not a concern (requires new properly sized tc fittings)... this solves a couple problems...
          Last edited by augiedoggy; 02-12-2020, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by augiedoggy View Post
            I would swap the gauge with the PR valve to its not a concern (requires new properly sized tc fittings)... this solves a couple problems...
            That would require adaptors, as the PRV is 3" and the gauge is 1.5". Not that it can't be done, but...

Comment

Working...
            X