Can Label Applicator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Label Applicator

So our plan is to buy blank cans and apply the labels in house. What are most people using to apply a label to a can? I was thinking it would be best to apply to the empty can but it being very heavy might cause problems. I looked at the AP360 from Primera, is there a good manual applicator that is pretty fast? thanks

try Pack Leader

We used a small table-top unit to apply roll labels to empty cans at the infeed of our canning machine. Even had a hot printer for date coding. Worked quite well for us.
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Originally posted by gitchegumee View Post
      We used a small table-top unit to apply roll labels to empty cans at the infeed of our canning machine. Even had a hot printer for date coding. Worked quite well for us.
      Thanks, if you don't mind me asking, what is the make/model of the label applicator?

Comment

search round bottle labeler on ebay, they work pretty well, fairly reliable. you can do about 15 a minute with them. Otherwise elf-50 labelers are really nice for small operations but cost about 10k, you can find an equivalent to the elf 50 from china for anywhere from 2k to 5k, if you are willing to wait for shipping and deal with customs, or pay for someone else to deal with customs.

Comment

Originally posted by Foamtime View Post
          search round bottle labeler on ebay, they work pretty well, fairly reliable. you can do about 15 a minute with them. Otherwise elf-50 labelers are really nice for small operations but cost about 10k, you can find an equivalent to the elf 50 from china for anywhere from 2k to 5k, if you are willing to wait for shipping and deal with customs, or pay for someone else to deal with customs.
          Thanks, I'm going to go the ebay route. Last question, do you label before or after you fill the can?

Comment

Sticker label or shrink label before filling. Date code before filling. After filling is just a quick rinse and then box, six pack rings, or snap tops.

Comment

Originally posted by Lomobrew View Post
              Thanks, I'm going to go the ebay route. Last question, do you label before or after you fill the can?
              Many breweries, including myself prefer to label after filling. Lots of labels will work when the can is still a little wet. Some breweries label without rinsing after the fill but I prefer to do a rinse and a air jet dry. Another good solution is to fill, seam, rinse, stick them in the cooler to dry off and label cold in the cooler to avoid condensation.

Comment

Foamtime....

What would be any advantage to that? Might be good for a short run with extenuating circumstances, but I'm not going to package beer into a cold room only to take it all apart to label it again at some later time! Besides there would be room for confusion in unlabeled cans being mixed. Feds like to see things labeled--for good reason. Don't see any reason why you choose to label after filling.

Comment

What would be any advantage to that? Might be good for a short run with extenuating circumstances, but I'm not going to package beer into a cold room only to take it all apart to label it again at some later time! Besides there would be room for confusion in unlabeled cans being mixed. Feds like to see things labeled--for good reason. Don't see any reason why you choose to label after filling.
                  Labeling in the cooler isn't the best solution, but for a small brewery that's doing small runs and everything by hand I thought I'd throw it out there.
                  Best solution is to label after the fill, inline , directly after seam-rinse-air dry.....
                  Labeling before fill if you are a small brewery doing everything by hand isn't the best option because more than likely people's hands are going to be all over and inside the cans and they'll be a less sterile environment going into fill.

Comment

Gitchegumee, can you give me some additional details on the hot printer?

Comment

Hot printer...

Hot printer was an option we chose with our Pack-Leader ELF-50 label machine. Great machine. Few problems. Built well. Heavy as hell.

Comment

And BTW...

Anyone caught with their dirty paws inside a can is fired. No questions. No excuses. Label the cans before filling. When they aren't wet & cold. After seaming, a quick rinse and into a box they go! Done this with shrink as well as with pressure sensitive "sticker" labels. And we have never put a finger inside a can. Anyone that disgusting should not be working in a brewery.

Comment

Anyone caught with their dirty paws inside a can is fired. No questions. No excuses. Label the cans before filling. When they aren't wet & cold. After seaming, a quick rinse and into a box they go! Done this with shrink as well as with pressure sensitive "sticker" labels. And we have never put a finger inside a can. Anyone that disgusting should not be working in a brewery.
                          And with that, you've just brightened my morning! Funny, but all too true. Every bit.

Comment

Do, you who label cans prior to filling, ever have any issues with the labeler crushing or denting the cans? If not, What system do you use? We’re looking for a labeler for small seasonal runs at the moment, (15bbl max) and rather label post-fill, but open to hearing all opinions. Thanks in advance.

Comment

We can assist with print and apply labeling and we can refer you to design houses to get artwork done. We also do date coding and marking. Let me know how we can assist. Thanks, Kevin

Comment

Working...
                              X