Leaking Manway - Brand New Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking Manway - Brand New Tank

Hi Folks, I've been calibrating all my new tanks before I clean them and After the HLT, I went to the closest BBT. The manway has started leaking twice and I'm now about to start over again. This time, I'm going to try a new gasket. I may have to order new gaskets. I read another thread (the newest I could find about leaky manways) and it also said something about a ben arm. These are shadowless manways and are not so simple to close. Very frustrating.

Shadowless manways are the standard for safe tanks and you will get used to using them. Inspect the gasket for any imperfections, if it fits the without any wrinkling or buckles it should seal. Who is the tank manufacturer? Somebody may have used one before and provide better advice.

Comment

Thanks Tim. Third time was the charm. I'll admit: I made an IDIOT mistake! I had the gasket on backwards. These have a flat side and a side with a lip. I knew that when I installed it but I had the lid flipped over and did not notice that I installed the gasket backwards. I have now measured 3BBL worth into the tank and no leak. It was happening between 1 and 2 so I think I've solved it. I'm going to finish filling the tank with confidence now.

Now, for IDIOT mistake #2: I did not remove the dust cap from the top where the PRV goes. Just before I hit the 3BBL mark, it blew and scared the brown stuff out of me. I was sitting on a little rolling mechanics seat staring at my flow meter when it blew. It knocked a ceiling tile completely out and I have reach up inside the ceiling to retrieve it I guess I can now say words of wisdom: Remove those dust caps!.

Comment

Brewery Gaskets.com has some softer gaskets that do a great job on hard-to-seal manways. Check them out.
        Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
        Terminal Gravity Brewing,
        Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by TGTimm View Post
          Brewery Gaskets.com has some softer gaskets that do a great job on hard-to-seal manways. Check them out.
          Thanks for the tip. I was able to seal mine after I figured out I had them on backwards.

Comment

Yeah, that'll do it!

I know how it is. I just replaced the water control unit on a Rinnai C199 water heater. Plugged it in, turned on the water and.... nothing. I was about to start tearing back into it when I realized I had forgotten to plug the wiring harness back in! Working fine now, for a while anyway....
            Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
            Terminal Gravity Brewing,
            Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working...
            X