Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entry level QA program

Hello PB.
    Where to start? Over time I'm trying to get better. That means having data and an objective answer for all the things I take for granted. When I started we didn't date anything because we sold everything and best before end was subjective. Like we decided when it was done. Luckily we still sell almost everything, but we are now at a size where we are not always playing around. We have regular customers for core products across packaging types. Some stuff is penned in a year ahead now and has to be. I want every customer to open one of our brews and have the beer experience we expect and worked hard to bring about. This means realistic dates. Where did it first go wrong?

Check CO2. Check DO. Package enough of a particular keg coupler variation to see the few customers who take it like that for 6 months of consumption. Hot summer, not fully cold stored. Beer develops a sour character at month 4. First canary in the coal mine is a customer who stores his kegs in his red hot kitchen. Microscope, howdy rods and chains (coccus). Huh turns out that stored warm a lot of our products develop noticeable off flavours at 4-6 months.

Talk to other breweries. Seems fairly common for unfiltered unpasteurised beer. I get a range of opinions from 8 weeks to 9 months. A lot depends upon product type (certainly certain things age better than others). Nobody wants small pack without at least 3 months on it. This is fine. I can do three months with cold storage. I can do 6 on most things.

Is this new in the brewery? Has it always been like this? Has it been getting worse? We don't know. We've sample bottles kicking around. Yes everything 6+ months old which hasn't been cold stored has craftcoccus under a scope. Sensory impact varies from an improvement to noticeable if you know about it.

We tear the place to pieces. We chlorinated caustic wash, hot caustic wash, hot acid wash, steam tanks before filling, warm PAA for 30 minutes before filling, replace all plastic, gaskets, hoses, anything that can be replaced is replaced. We seemingly still cannot produce sterile beer. Most of it is fine, some of it isn't. We've tried to destroy it, now can we live with it?

Sample bottles taken and hot held. Regular pH, gravity and visual micro checks, averages found, appropriate shelf life determined, a system of categorising cell counts and eventual outcome starts to get more accurate with more data. I can put 5-6 months on nearly everything if stored at cellar temperature which is ... well that doesn't seem that bad for unfined, unfilted, unpasturaised real ale. Nobody wants 6 months on a cask beer. They do on keg, but then we keg the same beer and most of it is ridiculous NEIPA's which are glass cannons anyway susceptible to losing that one cool trick after 6-8 weeks anyway (hype, freshness).

What is going on in other breweries? I understand this a contentious topic. Surely ALL BEER should be micro negative. But ... if it isn't sterile filtered or pasteurised, there is likely always going to be a few. Wise people talk to me and say "if it passes micro" but they never say that means ZERO. They just have a pass rate. People testing luminance say "anything under 1,500 is fine to use" which is like ... woah.

I'm not like on pack 3/60 samples are micro positive (like one or two cells) and after 3 months that has risen to 9/60 and 6 months 15/60. Out of those observable pH drops are like ... 3.33 to 3.29 and they are still fairly drinkable. I don't know if I need to go any harder.

To summarise ..

I want to put 8-12 weeks on my cask beer.
    I want to put 12-16 weeks on my keg beer.
    I want to put 16 weeks on my small pack.

These figures have been reached through 6 months of data. Gravity reads, visual microscopy, pH, sensory.

Obviously sales teams want 1 year +, but that is just ...

What are you all doing? What are your expectations? I suppose the next stage is plating and hot holding. Micro negative is micro negative right? Now just look at the packaging.

Hey there,

I have also been trying to find a reliable value / threshold for what a micro negative result is. Surely 1 - 5 CFU / 100 ml will not mean a catastrophe in a beer after 6 months, or at least that is my perception. I would be inclined to say that regarding your strive for cleaning the bacterial infection away might be unfruitful if you contamination is coming from your hops. Have you ruled out that it is not that?

In any case I just wanted to add that I am having a similar struggle for the time being. Initially we started using micro screening products from Weihenstephan in Germany. The initial things we were using turned out to be too unespecific and positive results were based on a change in turbidity, appearance of sediment and in some cases change of color (pH drop). However, it is often the case with hoppy beers that the sediment is there due to the nature of the sample and not because there has been any microbial growth whatsoever.

We are now plating and in one single case, we

Comment

Purchase the White Labs "Beer Contaminants Detection Sample Kit", solid base to isolate areas of infection.

Lance

Comment

I suggest you are aiming unrealistically high. Having worked in a few very large cask ale breweries - 6 weeks max for cask. Filtered and pasteurised keg - also used to be 6 to 8 weeks, though more recently with better oxygen and pasteurisation control in a the larger automated breweries, that has crept up to 6 months, but you can taste when it is getting well into the shelf life. Chilled, near sterile filtered and subsequently in package pasteurised beers now up to 12 months, but again you can tell once it starts getting past a few months in package.

But I doubt if you are filtering and pasteurising, and if so, I wouldn't risk more than 8 weeks for anything. If you are not sterile filtering your small pack beer or filtering and in package pasteurising, i.e. it contains yeast (and anything else) then treat it as cask beer - because that is all it is, just in a half or third litre package instead of a 41 litre cask.

You are not an ABInbev, Coors, Heineken et al with highly automated CIP systems, sterile liquor flushes, expensive German filling machines using steam sterilisation and a dedicated laboratory backup - so don't expect to be able to reliably equal their shelf lives. Sorry.
        dick

Comment

Originally posted by YanezInc View Post
          Hey there...
          We were looking at trialling some visual testing gear from 'a German brewery' introduced via a local university, but we were potentially having to look at adjusting the sensitivity or tailoring the system to suit our products. My goal is the kind of test that can be carried out by a brewery assistant to give an objective useful measure for QA work. I don't know if I'm asking too much. Thank you for your experience!

Comment

Originally posted by nohandslance View Post
            Purchase the White Labs "Beer Contaminants Detection Sample Kit", solid base to isolate areas of infection.
            I hear you. I feel like I have a solid understanding of what is going on however. Which to be fair post lockdown with plenty of tank time (comparatively) and time between brews I've had beer which now regularly passes my wonky micro checks. I'm even renewing my yeast more frequently! To be clear I never had a massive 'problem' I just wanted to keep things in the spirit of continual improvement. I accept that running the brewery flat out with every day being rack, transfer brew with limited time to flip tanks means accepting a certain shelf life. It is a sliding scale of perfection vs acceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by dick murton View Post
              If you are not sterile filtering your small pack beer or filtering and in package pasteurising, i.e. it contains yeast (and anything else) then treat it as cask beer - because that is all it is, just in a half or third litre package instead of a 41 litre cask.
              Perfect. Thank you. The experiences of others corrects my expectation. I know as somebody always pushing the beer quality that the fresher the better, but have to deal with competing opinions which I completely understand, they have different priorities. I have to do what I can to find a sweet spot. I want to do what everybody else is doing within the craft can market (put 6 months on it) but also do what I can to ensure it is drinkable at least most of the way there. Not ideal hey?

Comment

Working...
              X