Recirc or rouse during dry hop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recirc or rouse during dry hop?

Going back and forth with partner about needing to stir up dry hops for better extraction. Seems like we get too much sinking(?) of pellets and low impact in beer. Given we are brewpub and generally not under production timeline pressures the partner says rouse with co2 or nitrogen a few times and let them sit for few days I say recirc and move beer into serving tanks asap. He says too much o2 exposure risk. I say brand new CPE pump with vfd, bleed the lines, be careful and gentle and not a big problem.

So given those two options, what say you folks? Am i being too impatient? Would a few bursts of gas a day to rouse be enough?

Studies have shown that you will get maximum extraction by continuous recirculation. Ive never had a pump adequate for recirc. We have good luck rousting for a week on post fermentation dry hops.

Comment

So what would you consider to be adequate for a recirc pump? We dont have a DO meter so i cant exactly test ours, but id assume a new pump should have good seals and be up to the task, no?

Im not opposed to rousing, but i feel like recirc is the way to go. Am i just underestimating the o2 potential in a regular pump?

Comment

If you have an extra brink around you might consider using it to create a hop slurry and pump it back in through the racking arm pointed up with co2. Been doing this on our 7bbl brewpub system for several years. Works great. We can do up to 14lbs per brink load.

Dave
        Dave Cowie
        Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
        Nevada City, CA

Comment

I have done it both ways.

You get better extraction with pumping but it is more hassle with hoses sanitization and risk of oxygen pickup.

With CO2 you get pretty good extraction and there is much less sanitizing and no oxygen pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by barleyfreak View Post
            If you have an extra brink around you might consider using it to create a hop slurry and pump it back in through the racking arm pointed up with co2. Been doing this on our 7bbl brewpub system for several years. Works great. We can do up to 14lbs per brink load.

Dave
            What size is your brink? Where sourced? Currently we dont have anything that would hold enough pressure to shoot the hops into tank.

I think im starting to see why rousing might be be better for us. Maybe use our n2 tank. Just alot simpler.

Comment

Originally posted by brain medicine View Post
              What size is your brink? Where sourced? Currently we dont have anything that would hold enough pressure to shoot the hops into tank.

I think im starting to see why rousing might be be better for us. Maybe use our n2 tank. Just alot simpler.
              We got ours from Deutsche Beverage. I cannot see them on their site anymore, but you could send them an inquiry. I can't remember their price but it seemed better than GW Kent. Also just found this which is also less expensive. We have several of them. Love them for collecting yeast and dry hopping. Pretty simple to use for dry hopping (and yeast collection). There's another thread on PB about how to use it as a hop cannon. Less O2 using this procedure, IMO.
              Dave Cowie
              Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
              Nevada City, CA

Comment

Working...
              X