Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harvesting from NEIPA

Hello friends,

I have only made a few NEIPAs ever. It's just not what we do at our place. We have 1 rotating IPA tap that we change up every batch (NE style, Brut, west coast, etc). My question to those with more experience is this:

I understand that some people dry hop at approx 2-3 plato above terminal gravity. Active fermentation moves hops around tank and yields better extraction etc. But, what is your yeast harvesting protocol? My concern is harvesting and re-using yeast with hops in it from dry hopping. Assuming the yeast strain used in a NEIPA would primarily be used in other "hoppy" beers maybe it's not a problem. Just curious how others have handled it.

I've harvested from the "middle" of the cone as best i can while avoiding as many hops at the same time and had good results, just curious. Thanks in advance.

We don't do active dry hopping because of our need to yeast harvest. Harvesting dry hopped beer is a bad practice that can lead to potential contamination.

After terminal gravity and passing VDK we soft crash our NEIPAs to 55F and after ~48hrs, off of a 120BBL FV, we are able to harvest enough yeast to pitch 60BBL. It doesn't get as concentrated as our Chico strain, but with 4-5 yeast brinks we can collect enough cells.

Comment

Working...
    X