Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fermenter/Brite tank used as a HLT

Hey all,

The title of the post really says it all. We are thinking of double batching a beer on one day (actually quadruple batching a beer, 4 brews 2 days) and due to tank space requirements we are wondering if anyone out there has used either a brite beer tank or a fermenter as an emergency HLT? If so were there any concerns or problems. Essentially we would be using this tank for storage of hot water, which we would then pump into the HLT using our mobile pump at some point during the process (I am still working out the logistics.)

So is this a wise move, a completely dumb move, or hey that is a good idea why didn't I think of it move?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Damase
    Head Brewer
    Pennichuck Brewing
    Dammy Olsson
    Quality Manager
    Wormtown Brewery
    Worcester, MA

It is a good move and very common in the brewpub industry. Be sure and preheat the receiving vessel prior to transfer of HL.
    Cheers & I'm out!
    David R. Pierce
    NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
    POB 343
    New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

used this method at a brewpub that had no HLT. Heated the water in the kettle for mash in, and then heated the water to 190F. Pre heated a fermenter with short burst of kettle water then moved it over. By the time I would be ready to transfer to kettle the water would be at or close to 170. Never had a problem. Just make sure you add enough water to sparge with.
      COAST Brewing Company

Comment

Working...
      X