Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• owner/brewer salary?

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could respond either here or through email with ideas of how much the owner of a brewer would typically get. Looking at 4000bbl/year in 4-5 years. Bottled beer being the majority of sales. 95%+

I would be the main employee, friends/family helping when needed. I shouldn't need investors and only will need a loan for the building, although I am contemplating a lease initially but we'll see.

I have seen salaries for employees but not for the whole enchilada. I would assume it would be different but wondered roughly what others were bringing in. If you would prefer not to list that info here feel free to email me at aruthagentry@gmail.com

Thanks

Main employee, 4000 bbl/yr, bottling...Salary won't matter in an insane asylum.
    Did you mean 400 bbl/yr?
    Last edited by Moonlight; 08-20-2007, 12:13 PM.

Comment

If you are set up as a sole proprietorship, which is sounds like you probably will be - what would it matter? You will pay yourself a salary or dividends from the business's income - both which will be taxed exactly the same.
      Scott Metzger
      Freetail Brewing Co.
      San Antonio, TX

Comment

I would agree with Moonlight....salary won't matter much, good quality mental health insurance will! At 4000BBLs/Bottling you will have more than yourself working there or you won't be around to enjoy your success. As to a salary for you: There is an annual(?) salary survey done by the BA and printed in the New Brewer. I think it was a few issues back, not sure. I think it also depends on many factors too numerous to even list here.
        -Beaux

Comment

Try here: if the link doesn't work use the search button above for: salary survey. I agree with Beauxman, 4000 bbl. by yourself you'll be in the looney bin, eh.
          Cheers & I'm out!
          David R. Pierce
          NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
          POB 343
          New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Originally posted by beertje46
            Try here: if the link doesn't work use the search button above for: salary survey. I agree with Beauxman, 4000 bbl. by yourself you'll be in the looney bin, eh.

Oh I agree. That is a target in which I would have employees. I was just wondering what others are allowing themselves to be paid. I understand all profits would be mine but I would think much of it would be put away to expand, repairs, etc...

Maybe I am not asking the question right.

If you are producing 4000bbl/year bottling and you are the one fronting all the money, would you expect to get 40-60k/year, 60-80k/year, etc... I guess that is my question.

I have that issue of New Brewer, I'll go back and look but I was thinking it only had employees and not really owner information. I would expect the owner/investor to get more than head brewer for example but maybe I am not thinking correctly.

I understand there are many variables just trying to get a ballpark figure.

Thanks

Comment

PM sent to you.
              -Beaux

Comment

If it is your business, assume the smallest amount you could possibly live on. You will need to keep plowing money into the business, and the more you suck out, the less it will have to grow in a healthy way. (Kinda like your sleep habits if you have a new baby.) I would propose that if you want your brewery production to intelligently grow more than 20% a year, there would likely be little gravy left over. If you want to grow more than 35% a year, assume you are taking home nothing but low-fills. When the business is stable, 80+k could be quite reasonable, and if all goes well, you will increase your wealth by owing it. If you don't put every possible dime into it, you have a dramatically less likely change of ever getting there.
                But wait! There's more! Why would you ask about how much money you'd make instead of how much time will you spend working on the brewery? If you do the job of two people you get both salaries. Don't forget to take into account the alimony and child support payments since your family won't have seen you for years.
                Side note-friends and family may offer lots of free labor now, but when you need them, they may want to (unrealistically!) have a life, and will burn out easily.
                Last edited by Moonlight; 08-21-2007, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Im getting paid quite a bit over what the owner of the brewery is making, but we went public on the stock market last year and he has over 5 million dollars worth of stock options.....

Just to let you know
                  www.Lervig.no

Comment

It has been my experience as the brewer/partner of my brewery, my partners and I are WAY down the list of where the money goes. Almost everything else in the brewery has financial priority over us. While I'm not at liberty to disclose what our salaries are, I know ALL the great ways to feed a family of four on Ramen! Having said that; it IS worth it though. It just takes time and more money than you think.

Luck to ya'
                    Dave
                    Glacier Brewing Company
                    406-883-2595
                    info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Ditto what Dave said. I log my "salary" every month into our financial software, but what and when I get paid... well, your mileage may vary.

Cheers,
                      Ron
                      Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Comment

Owner's Salary

if you're the sole owner/proprietor, you wouldn't normally actually pay yourself a fixed salary, rather you would "pay" yourself out of the profit each month (if any) and therefore that would depend how much profit you generated and how much needs to go back into growing the business each month.
                        Friends of mine in other small businesses didn't get "paid" for over 2 years.

Allan
                        Tanglehead

Comment

Working...
                        X