Wedding Rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wedding Rings

Just out of curiosity, those of you that are men, and married, How many of you wear your wedding ring on the job/in the brewhouse/etc?
    Yes I wear my ring.
    59.70%
    No.
    40.30%

HaHa-already worried about the PAIN of marriage
    When you remove it-you loose it. But you know me and how I roll!
    Matt Van Wyk
    Brewmaster
    Oakshire Brewing
    Eugene Oregon

Comment

You're not trying to drag us into some kind of domestic dispute are you?
      Tim Eichinger
      Visit our website blackhuskybrewing.com

Comment

Since I'm getting married next year and I would like to wear my wedding ring on the job, what kind of rings do people have? I'm a little concerned about damaging the ring with cleaners/sanitizers around the brewery (I know I should have gloves on all the time, but they rip/leak etc...). Any advice from the married brewers out there?
        Hutch Kugeman
        Head Brewer
        Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
        Hyde Park, NY

Comment

Hello All,

I don't wear my ring while working in the brewery and it drives my wife crazy, but she understands why. Too many things for it to get hooked or hung up on, tearing at a finger. A finger semi squashed between two kegs or firkins can smart enough without a smashed ring that hurts oh so badly until bent back into shape enough to remove with channel locks or if the finger has swollen, needs to be cut off.

I've also found rings can cause gloves to wear and fail more rapidly.

I'm a worrier, so better safe than sorry.
          Aloha,
          Ron
          Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales
          Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Comment

wedding rings

hey BMOOR, for my $.02, How many like me out there? At 53, balding, gain of weigh and lack of funds ( 2 kids college & distillery start-up) there is not much risk of "remove it - loose it", if I understand what that infers. Also, my mid-life crises was handled by the purchase of a BB&H 600 L Still. Besides, I married my "trophy" wife 25 years ago.
            By the way, thanks to all the posters. This is a very helpful site.

Woodman

Comment

My wife actually tells me not to wear the ring on the job. I forget to take it off most of the time.
              Years back I used to wear a claddagh ring that got caught on the edge of a 55 gallon brute bucket full of wet spent grain and felt my finger pull from the socket as I dumped the bucket into the farmers truck. Split the skin from my hand. The crown on the ring was completely bent back. I should learn from that experience.
              I think I might leave the wedding band home next time.
              Bill Madden
              CEO and Brewer
              Mad Fox Brewing Company
              Northern Virginia
              703.380.0622 cell

Comment

My wedding band has a rounded inside contour, and initial had a sand blasted finish. It's very comforatable, and the karma says to keep it on.

Tom

Comment

I had problems with chemicals getting in behind the back of the ring in a recessed area and eating away at my skin.

I went to the ring on the chain around my neck as a solution. Makes both
                  my wife and my finger happy.

Comment

Originally posted by kugeman
                    Since I'm getting married next year and I would like to wear my wedding ring on the job, what kind of rings do people have? I'm a little concerned about damaging the ring with cleaners/sanitizers around the brewery (I know I should have gloves on all the time, but they rip/leak etc...). Any advice from the married brewers out there?
                    Mine is not real expensive, but my skin has taken a beating and the ring shines on. No worries about ruining it. More worried about Ron's suggestion of cutting it of!
                    Matt Van Wyk
                    Brewmaster
                    Oakshire Brewing
                    Eugene Oregon

Comment

Originally posted by woodman
                      hey BMOOR, for my $.02, How many like me out there? At 53, balding, gain of weigh and lack of funds ( 2 kids college & distillery start-up) there is not much risk of "remove it - loose it", if I understand what that infers. Also, my mid-life crises was handled by the purchase of a BB&H 600 L Still. Besides, I married my "trophy" wife 25 years ago.
                      By the way, thanks to all the posters. This is a very helpful site.

Woodman
                      If you thought I meant loose the wife-then no, you misunderstood. I meant once I remove the ring I will certainly misplace it, which I have done before. I am on my 2nd! (ring, not wife-one is enough)
                      Anyway, Andrew is my assistant and he knows I can't finda anything and I loose stuff
                      Finally, for all those headed to Denver-see ya there. If you see us (on the podium of course did I just jinx myself ), make sure you check out Andrew's new ring!
                      Matt
                      Flossmoor Station
                      Matt Van Wyk
                      Brewmaster
                      Oakshire Brewing
                      Eugene Oregon

Comment

Different Rings

I bought a different ring to wear to work. My wedding ring has some intricate knotwork inlaid in it and is mighty hard to clean. I went to the Wal-mart jewelery counter, placed my arm around my lovely wife and asked "Hey lady, what's the cheapest men's wedding band you have?" Best $34 I've spent in a long time. The look on the lady's face alone was worth it. Glad my wife has a sense of humor though. The ring is so thin and rounded, it doesn't get hooked on anything.
                        Dave
                        Dave Fougeron
                        Southern Star Brewing
                        Conroe,Texas

Comment

My ring is Tungsten Carbide and the jeweler insisted that it can't be cut through in the event I crush my hand and my finger swells. I know a lot of brewers with ring tattoos. I was considering the ring and chain as Valleybrew mentioned.

Comment

I wear a plain comfort fit (rounded edge) titanium ring.
                            Is it scratched up? -Yes
                            Does it bother my wife that it's scratched up? -No
                            I ruined it on our honeymoon when I went rock climbing, some 48 hours after we said our vows. I was the only mid 20's guy on the island without a shiny ring on my hand. My wife knew what she was getting into when she said yes to me, and that's why we went with a simple ring in the first place.

Now watches on the other hand (no pun intended). I wear a watch (couldn't imagine CIP or brewing without it) and it gets filthy! Sometimes in the car I notice a foul oder, and realize it's all the gunk and sweat under my wristband. I usually soak it in a bleach solution overnight.

Anyhoo, it's been a long week, I needed something light-hearted like this while I sip my sudsy adult beverage. Thanks for the interesting post.

Jay

Comment

Once lost my ring while skimming yeast from a 70 hL fermentor.

Miraculously, I did find it again in the tank bottoms without too much effort. Wife was pleased.

Generally don't wear it while working anymore, or any jewellery for that matter. Too dangerous really. Once spent about three minutes hanging from one finger (the ring finger) at the top of a ladder. It got hooked on a piece of metal. That is one situation I wouldn't wat to repeat Thank goodness for a strong assistant brewer.

Pax.

Liam
                              Liam McKenna
                              www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Working...
                              X