PBW vs Caustic in Keg cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PBW vs Caustic in Keg cleaning

We have recently started using PBW instead of caustic soda for many of our inhouse cleaning jobs. Just wondering if PBW is effective and easy enough to rinse, for keg cleaning applications.

It seems straight forward enough, but I am just looking for some tried-and-trued technique for washing/rinsing PBW in keg cleaning applications.

Thank you,
    Shawn

Shawn,

We used to use PBW for cleaning our bung-sided sankeys - worked great. We had a 2 1/2 minute wash cycle with rotating spray balls, followed by burst rinsing with hot water, then a sanitzer rinse. You need to rinse PBW very quickly with water similar in temperature to the wash solution. Improper rinsing will cause some of the residue to dry on the metal - its very difficult to remove.

We later switched to Five Star's Acid Cleaner #6 for keg washing, and I much prefer it. It is certainly easier to rinse. Acid #6 won't handle the soil load of PBW, but it does keep mineral deposits out of your kegs as well. Hope that h elps.

Comment

I was very fond of Birko's Brewer-eze and Cellar Master. Similar to PBW, but less expensive and, IMO, superior action.

Comment

I've used PBW, Acid 5, Star San for years in kegs and tanks. I've had great success with it. I recommend 5 star chems (how's that for a plug?).
        Glacier Brewing Company
        406-883-2595
        info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Working...
        X