No announcement yet.

UPC code on labels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you tell me what company you went through and what the cost was?? I too am interested in buying just a handful of upc codes.

Thanks,
    Cheers!!

JOSH KING
    SOCKEYE BREWING CO.
    BOISE, ID.
    josh_sockeye@msn.com

Comment

We used buyabarcode.com. Bought a package of 12 which will last quite a while. Easy, straight forward and no yearly dues. That being said we haven;t actually scanned them yet but I am sure they will be fine.
      COAST Brewing Company

Comment

That's interesting. If you go to the FAQ page on www.buyabarcode.com, they openly say that they are acting as a reseller of GS1 barcodes. They also say that at least two major retailers, WalMart and Kroger, require that your company be registered with GS1 to be sold at their stores.

We sell a bunch of beer at our area Krogers, so I would be careful about buying your barcodes from a reseller, as it may keep your beer from being sold in WalMarts or Krogers, as well as other big chains that decide to only allow GS1-registered barcodes on the products they sell.
        Linus Hall
        Yazoo Brewing
        Nashville, TN
        www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Yes, any one other than GS1 is a reseller. We don't have Kroger's here so I am not worried about that and I don't want my beer in Walmart. Those are the only 2 (at this point in time) anyway so that is not a concern of mine. I definitely feel at this point in time, buying a few barcodes for us is the right choice. If we were to row or change markets, I would then look at the annual GS1 and could justify at that point. Just depends on your company.
          COAST Brewing Company

Comment

$3850?

I too need UPC codes. So after reading all advice in this thread, I followed Ron's thoughts and headed to GS1's website to make sure I was using THE company that I know is legit. The application is easy, but I think I made a mistake. There is a box to list companies gross annual sales ( I figured this would calculate my fees, but figured I'd just post TOTAL buisness sales) When I entered 2 mil and requested 12 codes, my initial fee was listed at $3850!!!! Ooops! Would someone please tell me if I should have guesstimated what I will sell for the three brands we are bottling instead of listing the entire brewpub's sales? Obviously a four head filler in the basement of a brewpub will not generate 2mill in sales.(at least I hope not).
            finally, they will let me update my info I put in EXCEPT the sales figure.
            Can I start over?
            Matt Van Wyk
            Brewmaster
            Oakshire Brewing
            Eugene Oregon

Comment

Why not make the barcodes yourself? I registered and create my barcode numbers using GS1's Data Driver software. Then I use software to create a vector file barcode (using Bar Code Pro 6.0) so that my graphic artist can add it to my packaging material. This software is $380 and you can make as many barcodes as you'd like for as long as you like, so long as you are paid up at GS1.

BMOOR...I'd just give GS1 a call or e-mail them. They have been very easy to work with.

Cheers.
              Ben
              Hangar 24 Craft Brewery, LLC
              Last edited by BenCook; 01-29-2008, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X