Special Opportunity for Unique and Talented Brewery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special Opportunity for Unique and Talented Brewery

Looking for a Head Brewer or Operations Manager type position. Willing to consider all locations, world wide, depending on opportunity and compensation. Will also consider certain consultation jobs, staff training positions, or technical support roles.

I am looking for a very specific type of position, and please excuse me if I am extremely direct.

I factor myself capable of producing up to 7,500 bbl annually, alone, with proper equipment, setup, and resources. Much more if given a support staff, working capital, and freedom to implement best practices. Experience with systems from 1BBL to 40BBL with a plethora or manufacturers.

As an Operations Manager I offer the most flexibility for openings and offerings.
    Head Brewer would likely need to be a start-up as my energy and enthusiasm is too valuable to continue expending on weak foundations.

You have an opportunity to work towards practical perfection. You should have higher aspirations than expectations and be willing to forge our path to success.

Ideally the offered position would be a medium sized facility with ambitions for controlled sustainable growth. Compensation would likely be around 58-68K USD per year depending on the location and offerings. Most important is the availability for sustainable growth. In my opinion this is best achieved through a transparent process. The best case scenario is a laid out plan, either in a negotiated contract format, or in a structured known growth pattern. Wages can be stagnant, provided initial offerings and terms are agreeable. Another alternative would be to offer an incentivizing bonus structure. This might include things such as production bonuses, company equity, or profit sharing. I highly value stability and am looking for structure to ensure it. You are getting the better end of this deal.

If you are offering a lot more compensation, there is probably more red-tape or bureaucracy than I am looking for. I just want to produce beer the way it should be done in a comfortable and, most importantly, inspiring atmosphere. My products are premium, as referable, when allowed to operate freely. In return I am willing to compromise on my location, beer styles, lifestyle, and company direction. Work ethic is paramount and I am generally first in/last out when properly motivated and appreciated. Not only will the job get done - it will be done correctly in a sustainable, efficient way.

I will not tell you what you want to hear, but I do give realistic options based upon the situational assessment. Decisions should be made as a team, based on information and with intent. Whenever possible, relevant data will be included and dissected for reference. Fallout of decisions will effect the team regardless, therefore inclusion is paramount. Once a plan of action is determined, it should be fully supported.

Although I have extensive field experience, I have been tempered by it as well. Being "right" is of no importance to me. Moving forward towards the goal is the objective. Team member input is taken into account as often as possible. Good management requires entrusting staff to appropriately run their divisions. Company actions should be defined with staff input assessed.

Agreement is not always possible, but paths for success must be achieved regardless. I am willing to compromise for the greater good, but expect to hear my opinion clearly. As morale decreases, so does the "extra effort" factor. It may sound deterring, but it should be encouraging to the right organization. As compensation and morale increase, so will the "extra effort". This is the biggest payout for investing in me as an employee. Early strategies for future growth, and economizing of process can lead to untold savings. Involvement in community and business strategy can be widely beneficial.

Key assets include the ability to operate, train, and manage brewing staff. I can develop and implement Standard Operating Procedures & QA/QC guidelines. Manufacturing efficiency is a top priority, but improving and maintaining quality is the ultimate objective.

References will include former subordinates so expect to hear that I work well with others, communicate clearly and effectively, and work towards the greater success of my company and all those around me. Standards are high from personal pride, let alone expectation for a superior product. I expect you have pride in offering your talents as well. References of personal character or business experience would be greatly appreciated, but not required. I look to be viewed as an equal contributing member to the success and identity of the company.

If this incredibly long but detailed post sounds interesting to you, please feel free to contact me with information about your situation. Despite this reading a bit dry and straight, I am actually a humorous guy with plenty of personality and character. I would be happy to review your details, write a descriptive cover letter, and then send my current resume. If interest proceeds beyond that, I am happy to send reference information.

Work Experience includes the following but cannot begin to be encompassed by this page.

Malt
    In depth knowledge of barley and malt production. Not an expert maltster, but know more than most.
    Experience with wide variety of malts. Producing recipes with malt forward flavor profiles.
    Vendor sourcing and pricing. Landed cost calculations. Shipping & Logistics
    Super Sack, Hopper/Silo and Direct Feed systems.
    Mill
    2 & 4 roller mill operation.
    Installation and Operation of Chain Link and Auger malt transfer systems.
    Installation and Operation of Grist Case & Load Cells.
    Gap setting for proper efficiency and lautering.
    Grist Case and Load Cell Installation & Operation
    Mashing
    Knowledge of enzymatic activity and temperature reactions.
    Extensive experience in Single Infusion, Step Mashing and Decoction Mashing.
    In depth understanding of hydration ratios.
    Development and Installation of Mixing stations for tempered water.
    Spent Grain Management
    Lautering
    Efficient wort extraction.
    Fluency in both separate and combined Mash Vessels and Lauter Tuns.
    Sparging techniques, patterns and process.
    Temperature control, flow control, and pH balance.
    Boiling
    Knowledge of volitle gas reactions
    Understanding of Apha Acid Isomerization
    Emphasis on Protein Coagulation
    Extensive knowledge on pasturization techniques and limitations
    Heat Exchange
    Efficient utilization of energy.
    Cold Liquor tank installation and operation.
    Temperature monitoring, oxygen diffusing, and flow control.
    Proper CIP, SIP and Pasturization techniques.
    Fermentation
    Extensive knowledge on Yeast and Bacteria including ester and phenol production
    Sanitary handling methods for chemical and biological compounds
    Intermediate lab set up, operation and analysis.
    Cell counts, staining, and viability
    Media prep, plate swabbing, and incubation.
    Cellar Logging and Management
    CIP, SIP, and Leak Testing of vessels
    Conditioning
    Specifically experienced in Lager production and conditioning
    Familiarity with various fining agents - Gelatin, Silica, ect
    Experience with Filtration, primarily plate & frame and lenticular
    Carbonation through spunding and cintered stones
    Best handling practices to reduce Dissolved Oxygen pick up
    Tank CIP, SIP and Purging techniques to enhance efficiency.
    Packaging
    Keg Cleaning, Sanitizing, Purging and Filling
    Firkin and Pin Priming with and without Fruit
    Barrel swelling, sanitizing, and ageing
    Semi Automated Canner setup and operation (Cask & Wild Goose)
    Seam Checks, Forced Diacetyl and Dissolved Oxygen testing
    Sample Storage and QA/QC analysis
    Distribution
    Shipping and Logistics coordination (Inbound & Outbound, Domestic & International)
    Training of Sales Team Members and Vendor Staff
    Forming Relationships with partners and crafting opportunities
    Packaging goods for shipments and storage

Basic Skills is a list too long to get into. I have a diverse work history including my own home remodel, concrete work, flower seeds, fire & hazmat safety, retail candy, industrial scientific research and of course a significant amount of beer production. Please PM me about any specific interests.

Thanks,
    Jake

Head brewer needed

Send resume to info@jrbrewery.com

Comment

Working...
    X