Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brewer Services Offered

To Anybody Who Will Listen,

I am a brewer, currently living in Los Angeles, trying to get my foot in the door. My original plans were not to be working in southern California but in London; however, life threw a career curveball at me (explained below) and I now need to create another path for myself. Before I started brewing, I received a Master's degree from USC and worked for Deloitte in Orange County. I left that life because it was patently unsatisfying and my greatest love has been for several years now, beer. In addition to the attached resume, there are a few words about my current situation that I believe are important to understanding who I am.

After I left Deloitte, I was fortunate enough to get an internship in London working for a fellow Deloitte alumni Duncan Sambrook, who opened Sambrook's Brewery in 2007 in Battersea, south London. By the end of my six month stay I was working nearly full time for Sambrook's as well as a brewpub in north London called The Bull in Highgate. Both companies offered me full time positions, knowing full well the immigration environment in the UK makes it very difficult to hire foreigners. I took the Sambrook's offer and for the past year or so my plan was to be heading to the UK to continue working. Unfortunately, new conservative Tory immigration rules came into effect making it extremely difficult for small companies to hire non-UK citizens in all but the most highly skilled occupations. Sambrook's has been advocating for me for several months in this environment, but it now seems that they will be forced to hire a local into a job that was created specifically for me.

The job that was designed for me at Sambrook's expanded my responsibilities beyond brewing to include building a new 3-5 barrel pilot brew kit, helping run an off-site bottling line, and representing the company at industry events, beer festivals, etc. I was also offered the head brewer position at The Bull in Highgate, but turned it down due to the strength of the Sambrook's offer. Essentially, in a six month period I was able to go from having no professional brewing experience to being offered two full time positions with high levels of responsibility.

In addition, with the down-time waiting for correspondence from the UK Border Agency, I've increased my general knowledge of brewing science, history, and industry drastically by studying literally thousands upon thousands of pages of material. As I intended to be working in London, I directed my study towards the UK and Europe. I do, however, consider myself to have a fair grasp of the brewing industry in America and southern California more specifically. In fact, I believe my general knowledge level is my greatest asset and is what will distinguish me from other brewers on the market.

As I said, I'm currently living in LA, but I'm willing to move pretty much anywhere if the offer is strong enough. I look forward to hearing from anybody with interest.

Sincerely,
    ColinColin Baker brewing resume.doc

Colin -

I wish you all the luck in the world. Your post caught my attention for two reasons. The first, is that I was born in England, and loved to hear of your connection to the great island. The second, is the fact that I am opening up a brand new brewery/brew pub and I am looking for a brewer. I can't offer anyone a coastal location, we are as land locked as it gets, but for the last 30 years I have fallen in love with the midwest, specifically the greater Indianapolis area. If interested, send me an e-mail at jdknight@indy.rr.com.
    Jon Knight
    General Partner
    Grand Junction Brewing Co.
    Westfield, IN
    www.grandjunctionbrewing.com

Comment

Colin, are you interested in the Mexican Pacific Coast?

We are looking for someone like you to lead our every day operations in our 30hl brewery in Colima, Mexico. I just posted in the forum a job offering with more details.

Send me your CV, which by the way it's very similar to mine ... I worked for McKinsey for 8 years and I did my master at LSE

Esteban (esteban.silva@cerveceriadecolima.com)

Originally posted by Colin Baker View Post
      To Anybody Who Will Listen,

I am a brewer, currently living in Los Angeles, trying to get my foot in the door. My original plans were not to be working in southern California but in London; however, life threw a career curveball at me (explained below) and I now need to create another path for myself. Before I started brewing, I received a Master's degree from USC and worked for Deloitte in Orange County. I left that life because it was patently unsatisfying and my greatest love has been for several years now, beer. In addition to the attached resume, there are a few words about my current situation that I believe are important to understanding who I am.

After I left Deloitte, I was fortunate enough to get an internship in London working for a fellow Deloitte alumni Duncan Sambrook, who opened Sambrook's Brewery in 2007 in Battersea, south London. By the end of my six month stay I was working nearly full time for Sambrook's as well as a brewpub in north London called The Bull in Highgate. Both companies offered me full time positions, knowing full well the immigration environment in the UK makes it very difficult to hire foreigners. I took the Sambrook's offer and for the past year or so my plan was to be heading to the UK to continue working. Unfortunately, new conservative Tory immigration rules came into effect making it extremely difficult for small companies to hire non-UK citizens in all but the most highly skilled occupations. Sambrook's has been advocating for me for several months in this environment, but it now seems that they will be forced to hire a local into a job that was created specifically for me.

The job that was designed for me at Sambrook's expanded my responsibilities beyond brewing to include building a new 3-5 barrel pilot brew kit, helping run an off-site bottling line, and representing the company at industry events, beer festivals, etc. I was also offered the head brewer position at The Bull in Highgate, but turned it down due to the strength of the Sambrook's offer. Essentially, in a six month period I was able to go from having no professional brewing experience to being offered two full time positions with high levels of responsibility.

In addition, with the down-time waiting for correspondence from the UK Border Agency, I've increased my general knowledge of brewing science, history, and industry drastically by studying literally thousands upon thousands of pages of material. As I intended to be working in London, I directed my study towards the UK and Europe. I do, however, consider myself to have a fair grasp of the brewing industry in America and southern California more specifically. In fact, I believe my general knowledge level is my greatest asset and is what will distinguish me from other brewers on the market.

As I said, I'm currently living in LA, but I'm willing to move pretty much anywhere if the offer is strong enough. I look forward to hearing from anybody with interest.

Sincerely,
      Colin[ATTACH]12193[/ATTACH]

Comment

Hi, we are starting an operation here in Hong Kong and would be interested to have you join. Let me know if you would be willing to consider any short or long period employment here? Email me at vishal@equality-intl.com

Comment

Working...
        X