• Want to brew in China?

Want to Brew in China?
    Looking for an adventure?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	11334040_836338926445096_2688719630942066551_o.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	195408
    Calvin Beer Company wants you! We are looking to hire a full time brewer here in central China. This is a job for someone looking to live outside of the big cities and is looking for a challenge. We have a small Nano-Brewery in Hefei, China and are looking for more hands on deck. We brew a variety of beers from Marzens to Coffee, Milk, Oatmeal Stouts to Tripels and are always trying new things.
    Check us out here:
    Calvin Beer Company, Hefei. 307 likes. At Calvin Beer Company we make beer we love and we're sure you will too. We believe that beer is more then a beverage, it is an unparalleled experience. Follow...

Name:	falcon.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	195409

Background
    Calvin Beer Company was founded 4 years ago by two grad students living in Hefei China. Riding the wave of rapid growth of craft beer in China the company grew and has expanded to a warehouse outside the city. Currently we're trying to increase production and take our standards to the next level. We are still very small! We double batch into 600L fermenters. We're hoping to double our size in the next two months. We have a fully automated bottling line and we are one of the few craft breweries licensed to make and sell bottles inside China!

Name:	IMG_5123 (1).jpg
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	195410
    Requirements
    1 year experience in a brewery
    packaging background
    understanding of cellaring and fermentation log keeping
    physically fit enough to perform brewing tasks (moving kegs, grain, etc.)

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	195411

Responsibilities
    This position will report directly to the head brewer/owner. We're looking for someone who can take the lead on running the show out at the brewery and is interested in expanding our capabilities. responsibilities will include:
    Monitoring and guiding all day to day operations at the brewery
    Brewing beer on schedule to meet demands and goals
    All Cellaring duties; pH, Gravity readings, and QC
    Managing packaging into kegs
    Helping and eventual transition to running the fully automated bottling line; 6 filler head system with CO2 counter pressure filling valves, filling at about 500 bottles per hour.
    Managing Chinese employees to maintain all CIPs, COPs, and all brewery sanitization.
    Keeping all inventory up to date.
    Planning out inventory needs with the brewing schedule
    Developing new beer recipes and brewing new beer on the automated 20L pilot system.
    Adding to and continual development of all brewery SOPs.
    Making sure the facility is kept up, organized and clean.
    Keeping track of beer stock in both kegs and bottles
    Harvesting and maintaining yeast.
    Continue progress on yeast program development

Compensation:
    The brewery is outside the city. We share a complex with a distillery out there dedicated to making a craft version of the local alcohol. On the complex there is a single bedroom apartment. We also share the cafeteria where 2 meals a day are served. The food is typical Chinese food. Nothing too scary but not what you'll be used to! The company also has a free daily shuttle in addition to the city busses which run to and from the factory.
    The hiring term is minimum one year. Upon completion of the year your flight to China and home will be refunded.
    The base pay out here is less than it is back home. Cost of living out here much lower and money goes a lot further. This site breaks down cost of living fairly well http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living...a&city=Nanjing but Hefei isn't even on the list although the population is almost 8 million!

Name:	Hefei.jpg
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	195412

If this sounds like a position you'd be interested in, then send a cover letter and resume to me at calvin@calvinbeercompany.com. I'd especially like to hear why you're interested in brewing in China and with a small company.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Calvin; 12-03-2017, 07:07 PM.

If You're on the Fence

For those on the fence about this opportunity I just wanted to say that after the last 5+ years spent brewing in China it is an amazing opportunity. Hefei and the role with Calvin Beer is an opportunity to see the real China away from the big cities such as Beijing and Shanghai.

You'll be immersed in a new culture in a new country witnessing a craft beer explosion. What I like about the Chinese craft beer scene is brewers across the country are so open and there is a sense of a brotherhood.

I'm not affiliated with Calvin Beer but know Calvin myself and he's making some great beer. For someone looking for an adventure where they can make some great beer then I'd say go for it.

Comment

Working...
    X