Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To FOB or not to FOB...

...that is the question.

We're trying to reduce lost/wasted beer in our dispense system. 8 faucets inside, short lines, CO2 push; 8 faucets outside, 80' of cooled trunk, pneumatic beer pumps. All from 12 kegs (2 lines are serial) in a walk-in.

The problem is clearing those long lines to the outside when a keg blows. I've heard good and bad about using FOB devices to prevent this, and I'd like to hear your experiences. Does the location of the FOB matter--before or after the beer pump?
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Originally posted by TGTimm View Post
    ...that is the question.

We're trying to reduce lost/wasted beer in our dispense system. 8 faucets inside, short lines, CO2 push; 8 faucets outside, 80' of cooled trunk, pneumatic beer pumps. All from 12 kegs (2 lines are serial) in a walk-in.

The problem is clearing those long lines to the outside when a keg blows. I've heard good and bad about using FOB devices to prevent this, and I'd like to hear your experiences. Does the location of the FOB matter--before or after the beer pump?
    Fobs are pretty great. However, getting the staff educated on why they are there and how they work is the main issue. More often than not, bartenders set them to bypass because they don't understand how they work and what they do. Ours are after our pumps.

The only time FOBs don't make sense is if you are going to be changing brands every keg.
    Last edited by AT-JeffT; 10-02-2015, 03:34 PM.

Comment

FOB are mandatory for any good draft system! They also work great when running a beer line from a jacketed serving tank into a cold room and through a beer pump for consistent pour over short and long runs to the tap.

Your staff should be trained in all aspects of pouring beer and what makes it work. A Cicerone serving certificate will get most of it done.

Comment

Thanks, all.

I guess the FOB after the pump is obvious--brain fart. Unfortunately, with our current system this would mean 2 FOBs/ keg, as the pub lines are CO2 push, while the outside service is pumped. Maybe it's time to change that, too, and use the pumps for all the taps.
        Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
        Terminal Gravity Brewing,
        Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working...
        X