Carbonation questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbonation questions

I'm still new to this, but recently got a new 12" carb stone for our 5hL bright tank.

The stone works very well, but it didn't come with instructions.

I read "carbonation demystified" for advice on learning the wetting pressure for my stone, and what PSI to set my regulator to, and can hit 12 PSI in my headspace in about 5 hours by starting at wetting pressure and slowly bumping it up.

However, when I'm ready to take a sample and/or package, I have the following troubles. If taking a sample of trying to fill bottles with 12 PSI in the headspace, I get mostly foam out of the valve, and flat beer underneath the head. I usually release the pressure in the headspace and drop it to 6 PSI or so which balances minimal foam and maximum flow. However, today my purge valve started foaming out and I immediately pictured opening a bottle of soda, and how that sudden pressure drop causes the soda in the bottle to foam up. I imagine the same thing is happening inside the bright tank when I purge the headspace. I took a sample at 6 PSI and sure enough I get a nice creamy head, but no effervescent activity in the beer underneath the head. The beer has reasonable lacing and mouthfeel, but I really want some activity in the glass. I've tested growlers after they are packaged, and often get no effervescence and weak head.

What am I doing wrong? Should I be counterpressure filling my growlers and not purging the headspace in the tank before packaging? Should I slow down the carbonation process? Is my stone oversized? I'm quite puzzled but my real end goal is quick packaging and beautiful activity in the glass.

Cheers

What temperature do you have in your tank?

Getting gases into solution requires two things - pressure & temperature:

High pressure = more dissolved gas
    Low temperature = more dissolved gas

A fine stone/sinter, that gives equally fine bubbles, will help to improve the efficiency of gas transfer into solution and, once you get to the desired pressure in the tank it is preferable to leave the tank at that pressure for a time to allow full dissolution of the CO2 and for the tank to generally stabilise.

You may find that, after a while, the tank pressure drops as the headspace and dissolved CO2 levels equilibrate, in which case you can carbonate further until the desired pressure is maintained.

Use either a pressure-temperature carbonation table for settings or measure with a CO2 meter.

Comment

Need more info. Detail your process for taking a sample or filling bottles. Your current explanation says "when I open the valve I get foam". need more info to properly diagnose. What are you hooking up to the valve, what kind of bottle filler are you using, how are you drawing samples, etc. are you testing carbonation with any kind of testing device or going strictly off headspace pressure and temperature?

Comment

Working...
      X