Brewing school and the GI Bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brewing school and the GI Bill

Does anyone know of a brewing school that will accept the GI Bill?

Brewers Guild told me it is a beyond obnoxious process to get funding from the VA. Siebel has it posted on their website that they DO NOT accept the GI Bill though I have not spoken to them on the phone as I have with BG.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

UC Davis accepts the GI Bill for the Master Brewer's Program and, from my chat on the phone with, it's easy and they know how to handle it.

Comment

Have you looked into using the post 9/11 GI Bill, it is a bit more "loose" in terms of restrictions than the montgomery GI bill.

If you havent used your "one time certification" maybe you could look into using that in some way instead.

Comment

I will look in to U.C. Davis. Thanks!

Also, maybe I should have been more specific. I am on the post 9-11 GI Bill.

Comment

UC Davis is the only one I've come across. Siebel won't and is currently not really looking into it and American Brewers Guild is not either (paid out of pocket, but totally worth it IMHO). I just wish UC Davis offered online courses for those of us looking to further our education while utilizing the Post-9/11 GI Bill.
          Walt Chleva
          Dry Dock Brewing Company
          Aurora, CO

Comment

So, I've used mine already, but I would be interested to see if this was a possibility. The only other thing I would say is it does take several months (8 for me) to get the payments to kick in and I had to be enrolled to get it started.

In this case, you're going to want to have the cash upfront to pay for a 5 month certification but you'll be reimbursed later.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmstrongBrew
              So, I've used mine already, but I would be interested to see if this was a possibility. The only other thing I would say is it does take several months (8 for me) to get the payments to kick in and I had to be enrolled to get it started.

In this case, you're going to want to have the cash upfront to pay for a 5 month certification but you'll be reimbursed later.
              I just graduated with my bachelors and have 17 months left on the post 911. I'm trying to find something "technical" to use it on. But yeah....you are right about the length of time it takes to be paid. It's horrible.

I will call ucd tomorrow but if they don't have a distance learning program, count me out

Comment

Originally posted by beergut
                I just graduated with my bachelors and have 17 months left on the post 911. I'm trying to find something "technical" to use it on. But yeah....you are right about the length of time it takes to be paid. It's horrible.

I will call ucd tomorrow but if they don't have a distance learning program, count me out
                I've been one of the lucky ones and have always gotten paid on time.
                My wife on the other hand hasn't been so lucky. Once, when she was working on her Bachelors, it took them almost 6 months to finally pay her and they completely lost her paperwork when she started her Masters earlier this year.

Comment

Yeah I did a lot of research on it too, called people etc. The only one is UC Davis as has been said, and at CBC I asked UC Davis people that were there if they were going to or did offer any of the courses online. The answer was no, and no plan to do it in the future right now. I don't want to move to Davis CA, myself, so no love
                  ~Phil

Comment

Check out the Brewing and Distilling Center. They specialize in GI's
                    Professional Brewing/Distilling Technology (PBDT) certificate program is authorized by the VA for GI Bill/Post 911 Educational benefits as well as VA Vocational Rehabilitation. Extended through 2021 because of COVID, the On-Ground/Online Live Streaming (Hybrid PBDT) is also available to military veterans.
                    They also have a job placement program and provide outstanding training for anyone interested in entry-level positions as well as helping folks start up their own brewery or distilling business.
                    Call them at 865-622-7511; email Doc White (BDC President) at: todd@getbdc.com or register: Brewing & Distilling Center | Beer Brewing School – Professional Beer Brewing Certificate – Distilling School | Brewing & Distilling Center (brewinganddistillingcenter.com)
                    Cheers!
                    Banjo Bandolas
                    Probrewer.com
                    v- 541-284-5500
                    banjo@probrewer.com

Comment

Working...
                    X