Rusty Municipal Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusty Municipal Water

Has anyone had to deal with rusty (mildly) water coming into their commercial building. One site I am looking at has rust issues probably due to an old supply line coming from the street. Landlord is not willing to replace, or allow us to. This location is otherwise perfect for my small operation. Has anyone had to deal with this and if so, how.

In my last brewery I built a filter out of a swimming pool filter canister filled with activated carbon to remove chlorine...worked a treat, but don't think it will work with rust.

A sand filter will remove rust very effectively.

Search the internet for "sand filter" and you'll find lots of information about constructing them, set-up, flow rates, etc.

Comment

Yup, iron can be removed, but I'd consider the bigger picture: from the sounds of things, I'd pass on that landlord.

Comment

Is it the mains in the town or the connection from the mains? Do other local businesses experience the same thing?

Greensand can be very effective to echo WaterEng. Replacing the aging connection from the modern mains to the building can often be more helpful.

Ask local municipal engineer for some history of the mains service to this area.

Pax.

Liam
        Liam McKenna
        www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Landlords

Had a potential landlord once offered the perfect place for a perfect price. Even acted excited about a brewery moving onto his property. At the last minute he stipulated that no holes can be put in the walls or the roof !!! He must have pictured in his anal little mind huge gaping holes with plywood flapping in the wind.

Comment

Working...
          X