Thread: Employees skimming/stealing tips

Employees skimming/stealing tips

So we are a new busy brew pub. We expected employee stealing. As a brew pub tip-out goes to the food runner/bus boy and kitchen so tip stealing effects everyone.

In less than 2 weeks we caught a stealer. How are you managing and monitoring tip stealing?

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
    So we are a new busy brew pub. We expected employee stealing. As a brew pub tip-out goes to the food runner/bus boy and kitchen so tip stealing effects everyone.

In less than 2 weeks we caught a stealer. How are you managing and monitoring tip stealing?
    Call police, press charges, fire employee. There should be no tolerance for theifs.

If 100% confirmed as the theft, absolutely fire them. Their actions will become cancerous and give other employees the false impression that it is tolerated. Once the employee is fired, immediately inform the other employees as a company meeting as to why they were fired. The employees need to know that you as the manager has their back and it lets those who may be inclined to steal, it will not be tolerated. Have this an all hands on deck meeting. Do not rely on other managers or employees to pass along the message.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post

Servers tips can not be shared with back of the house unless those cooks, dishwashers, bus boys... would also be a servers.

First off, definitely check to see if tip-pooling is legal in your state. If not, than every server's tips belong just to him/her. Secondly, fire the stealing bozo and have a staff-wide meeting JUST addressing that employee's actions. Tell your employees the policy is zero tolerance towards stealing and you do prosecute.
    If this doesn't work then publicly advertise your servers do not accept tips from customers, but you will need to pay them a living wage.

Prost!
    Dave
    Glacier Brewing Company
    406-883-2595
    glacierbrewing@bresnan.net

"who said what now?"

Going forward, don't expect employee stealing. Be prepared for it, sure. "Expecting it" just seems odd.

If you don't have an Employee Handbook, get/create one. Outline company policies and whatnots, as well as possible repercussions of policy violation.

cheers!
    Jason Gladfelter

Beer Geek
    Conflict Consultant
    OvalOptions for Conflict Management

Thanks for the response. I am in Canada so the laws are different. Perhaps the word expecting is was poor, I meant I expected it to happen eventually just not so soon.

I was on the fence of telling the whole staff or not as it could be considered slander. This server had one more shift (the shift I confronted her) and at the end of that shift she stole again. When I confronted her with the evidence she started crying, blaming others, blaming personal crisis, and then she quit as we were navigating the conversation as she felt cornered.

In Canada we cant do much with the theft and police, they ask you file small claims which is a bear trap.