Thread: Best quality gaskets

Best quality gaskets

Hey all, i am looking to replace the silicone gaskets on my new PBST brewhouse. Who supplys what you find to be the best gaskets? Also, I believe that I want teflon gaskets for my racking arm, correct?

Thanks,

Mills

I have had good luck with brewerygaskets.com
    Yes-teflon will help you spin the racking arm without looseing it alot, but youll need a little extra torque to clamp them down
    Also think about edpm for HLT vs buna- better heat resistence.
    Operations Director, Tin Roof BC
    ted@tinroofbeer.com
    "Your results may vary"

Thanks!

After looking at the site I have some other questions. What are the big differences or advantages between EPDM, Nitrile (Buna), teflon, and Silicone when it comes to breweries?

Sorry I just read up about the nuts and bolts on those materials, but would still like feedback on what you all personally like, and for what applications.

Thanks

Seals/gaskets

Quote Originally Posted by Mills
    Sorry I just read up about the nuts and bolts on those materials, but would still like feedback on what you all personally like, and for what applications.

Thanks
    Make sure that the caustics you will use are compatible. Some gaskets like BUNA will desolve with caustics and leave a black sediment on your hands (other places?). We have been using both EDPM and Stainless compound ones. The stainless compound ones are very high temp and are gray in color. We use EDPM for most applications that are not higher than 170 degrees.

Buna have excellent chemical resistance, but can tear if compressed too much. They are my top choice in the brewery.

"Beer for the Greater Good"

Gaskets & Seals

First let me say that not all rubber compounds are created equal. As far as polymers go, EPDM should always be your first choice in the brewery. It is inherently resistent to cleaners and caustics and it has a hot water temperature range of 300F. Unfortunately, some EPDM compounds contain high amounts of filler and plasticizer that reduces the effectiveness (the same thing could be said for Buna and Silicone compounds as well). Modified PTFE gaskets - the "grey" ones that were discussed earlier can be effective too, but while they have better set properties that standard PTFE, they will still wear out from repeated use and they tend to be cost prohibitive. Here is what I tell people when they ask me: If you use your TC gaskets as disposable units, two or three times around and pitch in the trash Buna is for you. If you want a reusable gasket that can be left in a pail of sanitizer overnight then I recommend EPDM. JM2C and you can feel free to contact me directly if you have specific questions. dwight@brrewerygaskets.com