will this work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will this work?

Curious if this is a viable idea. I have one on my home brew rig and was thinking that maybe 2 in a dual stage setup could work. I like the cleanability of these over a brazed plate chiller, and being able to whirlpool and add late hops without worrying to much about clogging. It would be a tempoarary measure until the funds were available for the dual stage thermaline we should get.

2 of these counter flow chillers, https://www.morebeer.com/products/wo...-fittings.html

1 with ground water at 80 degrees, 1 with glycol at 30

5Bbl system, looking for ale temps in less than an hour

Anyone have any experience with these?

Many thanks, cheers!

The biggest problem in my mind would be cleaning and sanitizing. Most chemical cleaners and sanitizers use acids in one form or another and would eat into, and eventually dissolve holes in the copper tubing. You also need to do some calculations (or experimentations) on temp exchange rate and speed of pump to determine if there is enough surface area to chill down that amount of wort in a reasonable amount of time. Good luck.
    Joel Halbleib
    Partner / Zymurgist
    Hive and Barrel Meadery
    6302 Old La Grange Rd
    Crestwood, KY
    www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Originally posted by sharperbrewer View Post
      Curious if this is a viable idea. I have one on my home brew rig and was thinking that maybe 2 in a dual stage setup could work. I like the cleanability of these over a brazed plate chiller, and being able to whirlpool and add late hops without worrying to much about clogging. It would be a tempoarary measure until the funds were available for the dual stage thermaline we should get.

2 of these counter flow chillers, https://www.morebeer.com/products/wo...-fittings.html

1 with ground water at 80 degrees, 1 with glycol at 30

5Bbl system, looking for ale temps in less than an hour

Anyone have any experience with these?

Many thanks, cheers!
      We use two of these, but both fed via groundwater. Our GW is much cooler than 80, however. I'all take a temp reading on it later for you. We can get to 60degF at a rate of about 1-1.5 GPM.

We've not used nasty acids in it, only boiling flushes with PBW, so I don't know how they'll stand up.

Be careful that you don't overload your glycol unit, that'd get expensive fast.

-J.
      Jeremy Reed
      Co-Founder and President, assistant brewer, amateur electrician, plumber, welder, refrigeration tech, and intermediately swell fella
      The North of 48 Brewing Company
      Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

www.no48.ca

Comment

You might be better off making something based on this design: http://byo.com/mead/item/2849-double...iller-projects

It's pretty much scalable as far as you want to go, and you could easily have multiple segments with cold water input.

The equations are in the article, if you want to run numbers on length, flow rate, and water temps.

Comment

Working...
        X