Thread: Size of dry hop????

Size of dry hop????

I'm planning on brewing an IPA soon but can't decide on the size of the dry hop. I'd like a BIG aroma, something that really grabs your attention. What size dry hop should I use? BTW I plan on using a mix of Columbus and Centennial.

I think the obvious questions that have to be asked are what's your batch size and what kind of gravity are you talking about?
    www.devilcraft.jp
    www.japanbeertimes.com

I do an IPA w/ the same hops plus cascade. 1pnd per bbl dryhopped in fermenter will give a huge aroma. 1pnd/2bbls will give great aroma so you might want to start there. Also when picking a dry-hop total oil content, not IBU, is most important.
    Add hops after primary fermentation and hold for 3-5 days warm before crashing. Remember not to re-pitch this yeast, or harvest before adding dry hops. Additionally, I add whole cone to the server in a nylon bag. Because it takes 4-5 weeks to sell, the best pint is the last pint!!
    Operations Director, Tin Roof BC
    ted@tinroofbeer.com
    "Your results may vary"

sorry I didn't include enough details 20bbl and OG 1.069

Ted's suggestion is good for an American IPA on proportions. For something less colonial I'd go with about half that. Last year I dry-hopped an IPA with a mix of Chinook and Northern Brewer at about .33 lbs/bbl, OG was a little higher at 1.077 if my memory is correct, still held a great malty profile and had a mildly pleasant piney aroma from the chinook. It was a refreshing escape from the usual cascade.

Are you kegging or using a serving tank? Columbus/centenial are some potent hops, imo, so I'd go on the lighter end of the spectrum. If you're adding to the serving tank, you can always try it for a few days then add more if it doesn't meet your expectations.
    www.devilcraft.jp
    www.japanbeertimes.com

Bottle and kegging. Talked to a couple of local guys and I'm getting .5-2lb/bbl.

Quote Originally Posted by frigatebay
    Bottle and kegging. Talked to a couple of local guys and I'm getting .5-2lb/bbl.
    Pound per BBL is not unheard of at all. You might have to give it a couple weeks to settle down. But what do I know, I am a hophead.
    Joel Halbleib
    CBO "Chief Brewing Officer" / Zymurgist
    Bluegrass Brewing Co
    636 East Main St
    Louisville, KY
    www.bluegrassbrewing.com

Well I guess I am too cause its in the fermentor and dry hopped with 1.1lb/bbl

I like dryhopping in ageing. Yes, I know it is "supposed" to be done when warmer, but I still have great results. Yeast in suspension really diminishes the effect, so in ageing, that problem is gone. Compared to fermenters, you can even get longer contact time depending on your ageing program. Two week minimum, best at three, four or more. For outrageous flavor, use a minibale (11 to 13 lbs) per 7 barrel grundy, subtle flavor a quarter of that.

Anyone ever tried "burping" your tanks while in the dry hop stage?
    I've done it a few times and it seems to help the aroma. If you have the time, after letting the hops sedttle in the fermenter for a few days, blow off top pressure and send a shot of co2 into the bottom of the cone. Do this a couple times and it will send your hops back into suspension in the aging beer. Slowly add top pressure again and continue to age. This should obviously be done after yeast has been harvested.

Quote Originally Posted by frigatebay
    I'm planning on brewing an IPA soon but can't decide on the size of the dry hop. I'd like a BIG aroma, something that really grabs your attention. What size dry hop should I use? BTW I plan on using a mix of Columbus and Centennial.
    Funny you should mention that. We just did an APA dryhopped with those hops. It was approximately OG 1050 and we dryhopped with a 50/50 mix of Centennial and Columbus pellets at a rate of approximately 250g/HL. It was really unpleasant and hop-pungent the first week or so, but it shaped up nicely and it now has a most excellent aroma IMO.

-Christian, Ølfabrikken