Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another wort chiller question

Hi,

I'm looking into getting a new plate and frame heat exchanger. My issue is that in the summer time, my water source can heat up to 75F. I'm looking at other options. A contractor from Mueller recommended using a heat exchanger designed to use glycol as the counter-flow. The heat exchanger would have to been double welded to prevent cross contamination. Does anybody have any thoughts or suggestions about this?

Cheers,

Patrick Fiori
    Brewery Manager
    Clocktower Brewpub

Originally posted by PatFiori
    Hi,

I'm looking into getting a new plate and frame heat exchanger. My issue is that in the summer time, my water source can heat up to 75F. I'm looking at other options. A contractor from Mueller recommended using a heat exchanger designed to use glycol as the counter-flow. The heat exchanger would have to been double welded to prevent cross contamination. Does anybody have any thoughts or suggestions about this?

Cheers,

Patrick Fiori
    Brewery Manager
    Clocktower Brewpub

Water/glycol heat exchanger sounds like it would fit your bill. We have one on our brewing system. I've never (knock on stainless) had to hook up the glycol side of it but it sure is nice to know it's there. The other option would be to cool your input water before it gets to the heat exchanger and/or slow down the output of wort so there is more time to decrease the wort temp in the exchanger.
    my two cents....
    Dave
    Glacier Brewing Company
    406-883-2595
    info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Originally posted by GlacierBrewing
      The other option would be to cool your input water before it gets to the heat exchanger and/or slow down the output of wort so there is more time to decrease the wort temp in the exchanger.
      my two cents....
      Dave
      That's what we do here. I have a 1500 gallon plastic, vertical "farm" tank that I fill via a glycol cooled, brazed S/S heat exchanger. Works very well and the whole set-up "should" cost less than a glycol/city water HE.
      Cheers & I'm out!
      David R. Pierce
      NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
      POB 343
      New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Working...
      X