Weird beverage additives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird beverage additives

Ok folks. This may seem a little odd, but skatole is the question of the day.

Who is using this in beverages of any kind?

and here's some quantity info on skatole.

Updated to reflect the latest data, Fenaroli's Handbook of Flavor Ingredients, Fifth Edition is the newest edition of an industry standard. It features more than 100 newly designated GRAS substances, expanded information on aroma and taste thresholds, and the most current regulatory information. It includes synonyms, international codes, sen

At the levels folks use this, I bet it would be listed as a secret ingredient.

Any brews out there with skatole? (at least on purpose )
    What other odd things are being put in beverages?

Why would anyone put something with "a strong fecal odor" into beer, or any other beverage? Am I missing something?

Comment

From the provided Wikipedia link.

"In low concentrations it has a flowery smell and is found in several flowers and essential oils, including those of orange blossoms, jasmine, and Ziziphus mauritiana."

Comment

Smells like either jasmine or shit...not many things can claim that.

Comment

Originally posted by einhorn
          Smells like either jasmine or shit...not many things can claim that.
          oh, I don't know...it kind of reflects life itself.

Comment

I guess it depends on which side of the sandwich your chewing on.

Comment

Originally posted by einhorn
              Why would anyone put something with "a strong fecal odor" into beer, or any other beverage? Am I missing something?
              A lambic perhaps?
              -Lyle C. Brown
              Brewer
              Camelot Brewing Co.

Comment

Lambic has foot odor, not fecal. Big difference, at least in my O.
                Joel Halbleib
                Partner / Zymurgist
                Hive and Barrel Meadery
                6302 Old La Grange Rd
                Crestwood, KY
                www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

This is brilliant and revolting, but I wonder about its GRAS status, given that Wikipedia describes it as "mildly toxic" (and recommends "See also * Fart lighting"). I do, however, imagine that for it to have a credible fecal odor, other notes must be present, and this is somewhat akin to saying that hops have a strong "beer aroma."

Comment

Originally posted by BrewinLou
                    Lambic has foot odor, not fecal. Big difference, at least in my O.
                    I have found some fecal odors in straight, unblended lambics (from Belgium), and to a lesser extent in some blended lambics. Try a Hanssens. That is where I have found it most often. Mild, but detectable.
                    Pedio is a known producer of fecal aromas (among other odors and flavors), and is often found in lambics.
                    -Lyle C. Brown
                    Brewer
                    Camelot Brewing Co.

Comment

ummm...

This is all well and good...I do understand the urge to experiment with flavors in beer.

It's just that even after XX years brewing I'm still not bored of the multitude of flavors I get with ingredients that DON'T taste like fecal matter (not that I know what that tastes like...)

And I gotta say I cringe at the thought of someone sipping my beer at the local pub and saying "yup, tastes like ass."

Why not something like durian? At least it only SMELLS like rotting meat.

Nat

Comment

Wow, the world get odd daily! I can see this thread is the #2 part of the story of odd beverage additives. Here's the #1 story on weird additives.

Granny Wiz Whizkey. What a story. Who's willing for a taster???

Introducing Gilpin Family Whisky, a project of James Gilpin, a UK- based designer and researcher focusing on new biomedical technologies, who has created a "public engagement tool" distilling diabetic whiz into "single malt whisky."

Comment

Originally posted by wildcrafter
                          Wow, the world get odd daily! I can see this thread is the #2 part of the story of odd beverage additives. Here's the #1 story on weird additives.

Granny Wiz Whizkey. What a story. Who's willing for a taster???

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...z-2070491.html
                          Count me out!
                          Andrew Godley
                          Parish Brewing Co.
                          Broussard, Louisiana

Comment

I know ParishBrewingCo!

This is sooooo Soylent Green futuristic that it's scarily the now.

Hey,,but who hasn't heard of the earwax for the beer?

Comment

Working...
                            X