Fermenter Rehab Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fermenter Rehab Questions

Does anyone have an estimate for what it would cost to re-jacket a 14 bbl fermenter approx. 48" x 6'? Along with that the installation of a manway on the same fermenter? I know it's slightly vague without pictures or more information but I was just wondering if anyone has gone through this process to get an idea of what I'm looking at. Thanks for your time!

Danny
    Last edited by Danny Kiranos; 08-23-2010, 06:26 PM.

I'll bet...

It's probably cheaper to buy a new fermenter.

Unless you have the skill to do the work yourself. New dimple jacket is easy. I'd not want to attempt a manway with my skills. Remember that you will be paying for labour locally, which is bazillions more than they pay a similar worker overseas. And removing old parts from a fermenter or bright is a LOT of work.

Cut it in half, insulate the ***k out of it, and make yourself a nice stainless figure 8 hottub. Then buy a new vessel.

Nat

Comment

Manway 1500 to 2000
      Cooling channel jacket 1500 to 2500
      Insulation and cladding 1500 to 2500
      Shipping to stainless shop 1000

It rarely is viable to rework something like this. Many (esp. better) shops won't mess with another manufacturer's tank. If they do, it may be because they are overly desperate for business. If you have it done by someone who doesn't understand brewing vessel cleanable weld polishing, you may be dumping more money in bad beer than you could ever save from this tank. Likely there would be no guarantee, and it could turn into a pile of scrap.

Comment

Thank you both so much for your time. I was figuring the rehab process would probably end up not being worth the efforts. I'll keep that hot tub idea in mind or maybe just keep my spare change in it. Thanks again!

Danny

Comment

Working...
        X