Air bleeder in glycol header?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air bleeder in glycol header?

Is it necessary to have an air bleeder on our glycol header? Seems to be a debate around here, the argument for "no" being that our system is not a pressurized loop. The supply header is pressurized by the supply pump of course, but the return drops into the glycol reservoir which is atmospheric - any air would just work it's way out.

Our system wasn't designed or installed with a bleeder. I would just go ahead and plop one in, but our highest point is at ceiling level, which makes it a more involved project.

Does anyone have a glycol system with no air bleeder?

Cheers,

Bobby Wilken
    HooDoo Brewing Co.
    Fairbanks, AK

I prefer a bleeder on each tank, but minimally one on the main return.
    Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
    tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
    "Your results may vary"

Comment

Hi,
      Yes you need an air bleeder on the high spots due to the laws of physics; the air bubble will always rise to the top of the loop and can't travel down if you don't have extreme velocity and pressure.
      So by designing the system so that the supply header and return header is the highest spot you normally only need two air bleeders.
      When you branch from your header to a fermenter always branch down or to the side and never up because if you go up and then down to the fermenter you now created a new high spot and if you have 10 fermenters you now need 20 air bleeders (one for the supply and one for the return).
      As you know we always connect the glycol supply to the lowest connection on the jackets and one of the reasons is to make sure we don’t trap any air.
      If you are unlucky the air could reduce or even block the flow of glycol.
      If you have air in the system you can normally hear it because it often makes some noise.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

Dan Strömberg

Market Segment Manager
      Cooling & Refrigeration

GF Piping Systems
      Georg Fischer LLC
      2882 Dow Avenue, Tustin, CA, 92780
      Tel. (714) 368-4196, Fax. (714) 368-4197
      Cellular. (951) 642 2339
      dan.stromberg@georgfischer.com

Comment

In agreement with the above two gentlemen, yes air bleeds can be necessary even in an unpressurised system.

Since you're talking about a system that is already installed, in my mind the biggest question is: Is your cooling system working well?

If the answer is "yes", then you don't need to worry right now about going to the extra trouble of installing bleeders. Just beware when you have any work done on your cooling system, you may want to roll some bleeders into the job then. First because it will cost less to get them done at the same time, and second because when your glycol pipes get cut open, you may end up an airlock introduced into your system that was not previously there.

I also second listening to your pipework! Good cooling hums. If it's chattering to you, then technically it's not cooling as efficiently as it could.

I would also say that if you paid someone to install your cooling pipework, don't pay them again.

Comment

Working...
        X