Hydrometer sample chiller tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydrometer sample chiller tube

Where can I get a hydrometer sample chiller? I am currently using a metal bowl in an ice bath to chill my samples from the kettle. How can I do this better?
    Attached Files

DME Hydrometer Cooling Tower

You can buy a similar to the picture shown at DME and they called them Hydrometer Cooling Tower.

Comment

Refractometers are a wonderful thing. Just sayin'....

Comment

That is my hand!

Comment

Yeah I was watching. http://youtu.be/ADJ1HK1L-pI
          Awesome Sahti video and thought I need one of those.

Comment

Newlands and Specific Mechanical both build and sell those flasks.

Comment

Hydrometer Cooler

The Hydrometer Cooler should work as a heat exchanger, you should run cold water through the tower to cool the hot wort sample that is going to be measured. Likewise, you can run hot water to it to warm the cold young beer sample to measure the final gravity, which can't be measured with the refractometer.
              IMHO I would say is easier to install it properly than placing it in a bucket with cold or hot water as shown in the video.

Comment

I used to use a length of copper pipe with an end cap on the bottom. Fill w wort/beer and tilt to side in sink and let water from the faucet slowly run over the side of the tube to chill or heat the sample. Just cut it to the correct size for your sink. Cheap easy and worked well. Think it was 1" pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by Fausto Yu-Shan
                  The Hydrometer Cooler should work as a heat exchanger, you should run cold water through the tower to cool the hot wort sample that is going to be measured. Likewise, you can run hot water to it to warm the cold young beer sample to measure the final gravity, which can't be measured with the refractometer.
                  IMHO I would say is easier to install it properly than placing it in a bucket with cold or hot water as shown in the video.
                  It *is* a heat exchanger. Cold water on one side, hot wort on the other.

If I was after one of these, I'd just roll my own. Either a quick stainless welding job in exchange for a case of beer, or even better a DIY job from copper as matt dog suggests.

Comment

Working...
                  X