Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom cooling

Howdy All!
    I am currently putting in equipment for a 5bbl brewing system with 4 10 bbl plastic fermenters from plastic-mart. My fermenters will be in a small temp controlled room set at 68 degrees (what would be a better temp? Maybe 61). I am planning on wrapping 50 feet of copper or SS 1/2 tubing around the cones and then insulating around it (just the cones). We will then push 40 degree water through the tubing just to maintain the 68 degree temp. These fermenters will only be used for my two ales that require the 68 degree ferment. To crash we will transfer to 40 degree single wall BBT in the walk in cooler, so these fermenters do not need to crash, just maintain current temp. We have the temp control panel and the temp probes already but I am lost as to the rest of the system.
    Does anyone have a suggestion on if we should buy one strong pump for all 5 fermenters (4 10bbl and 1 2bbl) or should we get a smaller pump for each tank. Any design options ya'll may have for tying the whole thing together (plumping or wiring) for water out and return would be greatly appreciated. If this whole idea is stupid and will fail please let me know your experiences on what went wrong. We know that there will be yeast in the brite tanks because of the crash, we do not filter but I like the idea I have read about extending the racking arm inside the tank to keep it above the yeast.
    Details on the set up, each tank will have the 50 feet of tubing, the resivoir will be in the walk in cooler (40 degrees) and the pipe leading to the fermenters would be a max of 15 feet, resivoir to fermenter. The return would be max of 15 feet also. Any pictures or design suggestions would really help us on our way.
    Last thought. Since I only need to maintain the temp in the FV, could I just skip all of this and lower the ambient temp in the room? All other specialty ales will be made in the 2bbl plastic tank and I can manage that one separately if needed.
    Cheers!
    Brian Schmoekel

maintaining temperature in plastic fermenters

I researched this as well and some probrewer guys recommended putting the coils inside the tank so you have an immersion chiller setup instead of wrapping the plastic cones. plastic is a decent insulator so it will be hard to get the cold to the inside of the tank if you wrap the outside.

I'm still considering plastic 500 gal tanks for about 12 bbl batches, but I'm leaning toward keeping the room down to 60* F or so and avoiding the cooling coils altogether. I just posted on this topic today. looking for any advice/ reply.
    Scott Swygert
    Founder - Honky Tonk Brewing Co.

Comment

Working...
    X