PDA

View Full Version : Brewing in USA for Brits

Richard_Taylor
03-01-2005, 09:11 AM
Hello out there,
I am a British student at Heriot Watt University in Scotland and Im currently getting my MSc in Brewing and Distilling. I'm Interested in working in the States when I graduate but i know that it is very difficult for a foreigner to get a work permit. Does anybody have any advice or leads on this subject? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers- Richard Taylor.

steveg
03-01-2005, 05:12 PM
I have the same credentials: MSc from the Watt, and I work in the States for a wholly owned subsidiary of a British brewing company. It won't be easy for you to find!

It will be much easier for you to find work in Canada maybe. Try Allied Distillers, SABMiller, or Diageo. I think all of them have operations in Canada, and from there you might be able to transfer to the US.

Barring that, you could always marry an American girl!

dick murton
03-02-2005, 05:01 AM
Hmmm

My experience of trying to get employment with the big boys didn't work out when I tried a few years ago, and they have been closing production sites since then. And if I wanted to earn decent money, in line with what I am currently on, the only possiblity seemed to be to buy into a micro. Not much success on that front either. Unfortunately the only ones I have tried so far have be grossly bankrupt, so not worth buying into.

But don't despair. I am sure that as a newish starter in the inductry you can afford to be a little less picky on salary than I need to be, and so could pick up something. The few consultants I have come across spend half their year out of the country - which again might suit you fine, but you really need a couple of years practical first for credibility.

Good luck

I'm still open to offers myself !!